1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Road Case Rackable Depth question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    Setting here looking at a Gator G-Tour 4U Rack and it say rackabl depth is 17 inches. I'm guessing this thing has rails front and back. My power amp is 17 15/16". It should work right? Maybe poke out a little but that shouldnt be a problem I dont think. I'm sure the lid would still go on.

Anyone know.

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    it won't even stick out. the shock mount gator cases(mind you, mine fell apart twice)are a cage inside of the plastic shell. so there will be room to spare, even if the lids didn't bubble out.

just so you are forewarned. i had a 400+ inside of it. dude i bought it from shipped it inside the case which was fine. within 2 months the one handle broke and i dropped the case down a few stairs. sent it back for warranty. didn't give me a new one, just glued the old one. which worked. then the actual inner cage dislocated from the outer. two rivets popped. luckily i'm handy with some bass strings and rigged it. sent it back again. they put new rivets in, and sent it back. i then sold it.

3. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Now are we talking about the same unit? I'm talking about the standard G-Tour not the one with the foam.

I'm open to other brands. Dont want a dang 24 inch deep rack though.

I was gonna build one out of Aluminum Tubing and Diamond Tread Plate but the Price on the Plate was ridiculous.

So I'm looking at racks now.

I want to go as small and light as I can but I dont want one of those molded thingys or bags.

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    http://www.finecases.com/browse/gator-cases/gator-cases-3611.html
    this is what i had. so glad i got rid of it. if you are getting one new, it has a warranty so don't fret, but i was left without a case for my all tube 400+ head twice. once for 2 weeks, once for 2 months. luckily i had access to a mesa shock case which i ended up keeping after i sold the gator.

is this for an ALL tube head?

also, how would you be getting your amp back and forth to gigs?

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I'd get the amp and rack dimensions.

I sort of faced the same issues with a no-name "anvil-style 4 space rack." I put my Crest CA6 amp in it. The amp was 3 1/2 x 19 x 18 (H x W x D).

I think the rack as a depth of 17" without the lids, so the back of the amp sticks out of the rack once the lid is off. Since the lids are each at least 2 1/2, the amp sticking out is not a problem, as the lid covers it when it is attached. Having the back of the amp stick out is actually more of a feature than a bug. It makes it easier to see when connecting it.

In my case, the front of the amp is on the rails, but the back is not. If you mount the amp in the bottom of the rack, you shouldn't need rear rails, though with Gator, things may be different than with my generic (though tough) ATA rack. Hope this helps. :cool:

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    thinking about it, the rear rack rails might cause it not to work for you.

edit: i see it's a power amp, so i'll assume it's solid state. if it were me, i would just get a non shock skb case. never had a problem with them with any of my ss heads.

7. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    No that isnt what I was talking about. Here it is.

http://www.gatorcases.com/productsmodeldetail.aspx?LID=1&PID=30&MID=294

Here is the Head in question minus the FX unit. I'll be taking out my FX unit.

SWRBassRig_1378.

I'll be caring it to Gigs in the Back Seat of my Crew Cab F-350 Truck.:bassist:

8. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

Yes that does help. What you are telling me I believe is yes the amp will stick out a little but no it shouldnt be a problem.

9. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

Well it's not just a power amp but my Preamp is much more shallow so that dont matter.

It will have my 2U Preamp and my 2U Poweramp in it.

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i'm an idiot. i thought you were talking about the shock mount version. those cases are built tough, but the skb ones are lighter if that's what you are trying to accomplish.

anyway. how deep is the actual power amp, not counting those long handles on the front?

11. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    You are not an idiot. you just had a Brain Fart.:D

I'm an idiot. I just went down stairs and measured the dang thing and those numbers are not exactly right. Or the way I was thinking of them anyway.

The Amp is 17 15/16" from front of front rails to back of side mounts. The specs on that rack said it would take something 19 inches with the lids on so it may be ok.

However it may still not work because the front handles are 1 3/4" from front face of amp to front of handle. Gonna have to check that out. I believe the specs said rackable 17" and this amp is slightly less than 16 1/4" rackable but the amounts front and back extra are not equal because of those huge handles.

BTW I said I didnt want a molded plastic rack.

12. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    This is a brain teaser I can't tell if it would work or not. The rack outside with the lid off would be 18" but it says interior depth with lid on is 19", leading me to beileve it only has a 1/2" of out stick on the front. 1" if you count the amp sets back in 1/2". According to that the front cover wouldnt go on because the rails would stick out 1 1/4". Maybe even a little more than 1 1/4".

13. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i know my ampeg handles can unscrew....

14. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    It would be nice not to have to remove the handle. None of this really makes sense though. The outside depth is 21.5 and the case is around 1/4" thick so you would think it would fit but then the specs say 19" depth interior with the lids on. I wonder if they mean the parts should not be closer than that to the inside of the lid in case it were dropped or something?