1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

road case suggestions for a vintage SVT?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joeyjoejoe, Apr 19, 2010.

1. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    i'd like to get a road case for my early 70's SVT.

i think the type where the lid/top lifts off would work best with me.
    probably with casters on the bottom. I'd either leave the amp in the base, or set on top of the close case.
    i want to keep the amp off my 8x10 because of all the vibration.

anyone order from this company?
    http://www.affordable-cases.com/catalog/viewCatalog.html?styleId=6

i haven't been finding many companies that have a real product listing with prices. a lot of them seem to be custom, so no price listing.

this place is somewhat local, but i know nothing about their quality.

if anyone knows of a good company, especially in central MA, let me know.

2. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
  3. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    that one with the luggage style rollers is cool.

anyone know how the dimensions of the svt's compare to the classics and VR versions?

as far as vibration goes, i've already had one filter cap break off (caused some interesting noises), and i heard that vibration from the cab can mess with your bias settings.
    i play in a really loud band, so vibration is definitely an issue to keep in mind.

4. Fair enough, I've seen other people keep amps on casters down the side of the cab, as said tho, I've never had that problem and have always been pretty loud.

I'd email them and see what they say? You could also always measure your amp and compare it to the dimmensions listed for the CL and VR on the ampeg website or whatnot?

I think they'll be the same or very close either way (I'm an SVT-II man, so I'm in a rack unit, so not so useful in that regard!)

5. suraj

suraj

Oct 1, 2008
    Mumbai, India
    You mean something like this ;) -

I build these but im in India :p

6. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    yup, i think that is the style that would work best for me.
    a trunk style case could be cool if the amp's handles weren't on side.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  8. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
  9. I have cases from Anvil, Calzone, Katz Audio, Encore, and L&M Engineering in my inventory. I also have several cases from Affordable (actually Barry Cases in St. Louis) - and I will put the Barry/Affordable units up against any of the others for quality. The great prices are just icing on the cake.

10. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
  11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The EWI stuff is very well made, too. I've owned several of their racks and swear by them---from the 3-space that I currently own, up to an 18-space, with several different ones in between.

And Audiopile has very good prices and great customer service.

12. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    i wonder how they're able to sell them so much cheaper than others i've seen.

the one thing i really like about the case with the luggage rollers is that its got a spot for cables/tuner/etc on the end. i think that would be enough space that i wouldn't need another case for all my misc stuff.

13. nickyn99

nickyn99

Dec 18, 2006
    I have the luggage type for my 72 SVT. Gonna buy another, you can't be it.