Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Road Not Taken?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Ce, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Whats Happen Players,

I need your thoughts on this one. I came home on leave and I stoppped in at my local guitar store (Sam Ash), to my suprise I found a used Yamaha TRB 6 string. I took it off the wall and gave her a bit of a test drive. Very nice bass!!! Sweeeet even, but there was a problem 2 to be exact.

There was a problem with the strings...they sucked, and I found some very unsettling noise when I was raising and lowering the volume knob on the bass. I ask the dude working there could we work something out on the strings and getting that noise taken care of, he seemed willing and not really willing to help.

I deciede in the end not to go with th deal. My question is should I have gone for it anyway bad strings noise and all.

What do you think? Good move bad move!?

Peace
    Big Ce :bassist:

2. :cool: This is not really an easy call.

First, strings. If the price of the bass was "right", strings are easily replaced and in the long run, not deal stoppers.

Second, the volume control noise. Was the bass active or passive? Was the noise something to do with the preamp if active? If passive, there's a good chance the pot simply needed cleaning; cheap and easy to do. In fact, if it's simply dirty, you can quite often just turn the control back-an-forth rapidly a half dozen times or so, and the noise will subside. A temporary fix at best. Even if it's bad, a new pot is less than $5, in a passive bass. In an active, it all depends on how the pot is integrated with the preamp.

You may have walked away from a jewel, you may have walked away from a turkey. Go back and determine what's causing the noise, if possible. Think about the price of the instrument and the cost of new strings. Then decide.

Good Luck!

3. I guess it depends on what's wrong. If it's just a bad set up and dead strings that are getting in the way of your enjoyment of the instrument, maybe you should get it. Yamaha's are great for the $$$. That being said, it could end up having some more expensive problems than just the set up and strings. The store should be willing to fix those issues before you commit to buying the bass. It would really bother me if they are not willing to resolve any issues on a product they are selling. IMO... that's just bad customer service.

4. Sammy

Thanks I may just do that. By the way the price was eight bills, I was also trying to get a hookup on the gig bag too. If I get her she going back to NY with me! :hyper:

I'm just getting back into playing and I am not up to speed as I should be about things like this. Thanks again.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Sam Ash on Mayfield Rd., right? I've played that same bass before (used to live in Cleveland). It was very nice and surprisingly light-WIDE fretboard though. That Sam Ash doesn't pay much attention to their bass room-the problem is likely easily fixable (maybe just needs a new pot). If they won't fix the problem, move on. It's a production bass, and as such you'll be able to find many more of them in your journeys.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Strings and setup are easy. I noticed a lot of recent yamahas having scratchy pot problems. Contact cleaner would probably fix it up just fine.

7. Yes, Bryan the very place. The thing that I had the most problem with the whole thing was the dude I was dealing with was young very nice but he was in no real position to take care of my concern regarding the bass.

I may have very well passed up something nice, but I think that customer service should come first, especially for a used $800 bass. Thanks for your input.

Peace

8. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    'I deciede in the end not to go with th deal. My question is should I have gone for it anyway bad strings noise and all.

What do you think? Good move bad move!?'

Personally I think you made the right move. I don't buy guitars very often but when I am in doubt about anything, I walk away until I figure out what the problem was. To further compound issues, I get really stressed out in my local music store ( Steve's Music ) when there are always way too many people in the store and all you hear are really bad Ritchie Blackmore and Jimmy Page imitations while you are trying to check out a bass. I wish there was a music store with a sound booth (s) where you could grab a bass, patch through to a choice of amps, and try it in the comfort of a noise free room.

9. Unless $800 is a really good price for that, why risk the scratchy pots. I'd only go for it if they knock a nice chunk off the price to cover the risk of the pots, or you'll pay the $800 if they fix the bass first.

Randy

10. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

For an $800 used bass, they should put on new strings AND spray the pots with cleaner.