1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Road Rage

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Aug 17, 2007.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Anyone here ever get road rage, or been a victim of road rage? I find that I get agitated when other drivers do stupid things on the road, but I've only gotten angry to the point of swearing to myself once or twice, and never done anything aggressive.

I'm writing this because I was in a Walmart parking lot today (that should explain quite a lot), and I had the right of way. A woman in a minivan went through her stop sign and pulled right in front of me. I slammed my brakes and stopped a few feet from her. I gave a wave to let her pass; instead, she stays in the intersection, rolls down her window, flips me the finger and yells "F you!". Meanwhile, there was a young child in the backseat:rollno: .

2. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    People suck!:mad:
    Stupid, inconsiderate people have ruined my driving experience many times.:meh:

3. twice now had two guys intentionally change lanes into the lane i'm cruizing in. both times almost cause severe accidents. One guy got away the other one didn't. Funny, the cops never got involved.

4. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Some guy cut me off this morning. I was gonna give him the finger, but I had coffee in one hand and my Blackberry in the other. Inconsiderate ***hole.

5. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    i curse and use the fave. finger alot. As some of you already know, i hate everything though.

6. Sometimes I will think a guy is a jerk for switching in and out of lanes, but I don't get mad at that. I just laugh at the guy because he is the one that may crash because of it.

If someone is very much so putting the safety of my car or possibly other cars on the road in danger, then I will be getting very angry and possibly do something about it.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Lately I have been short on patience with people who cant drive who are ahead of me.

8. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    i hate when there are two slow people driving the same speed right next to each other on 4 lane roads so you can't get by. i get infuriated with that, its completely rediculous, especially if its after work, then i get even more pissed.

9. i flip the bird and lay on my horn aggressively, but only whensomeone is clearly driving like a c**k monger.

i do other passive agressive things all the time though. for example:

you just got into the left lane on 4 lane divided highway to pass someone in the slow lane. you see some dick flying up behind you going 20 mph faster than you, and you know that as soon as he has room, hes gonna try and squeeze through and pass you on the right, before you get the chance to move back to the right lane.
    right after he changes lanes to do so, and right before he passes me, i usually cut back into the proper lane, and slow down a bit. this pisses people off to no extent, but it is perfectly acceptable becuase your really not supposed to pass people on the right.

another one:
    your driving down a 2 lane country road, probably 5 or 10 mph over the speed limit, no big deal. some jerk is riding your tail so hard that it will hurt next time you sit down. in these situations, i slow down a lot, usually to 5 mph or so BELOW the speed limit, but only in situations when he cannot pass me. when the opportunity arises to pass me, i speed back up.
    this also pisses people off, but, if you dont want to deal with things like this, then dont drive like a dick.

10. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    crackup.

11. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I have had a couple of really nasty road rage incidents in the past, but normally I would just call the idiot an idiot and forget about it. My brother is a road rage poster child. He always has to get the last lick in, too. I hate riding with him in traffic.

My stress level has went down 1000% since I moved out of Dallas and don't have to commute in a big city any longer. Actually, now, I don't have to commute at all, except from my bed to my office.:cool:

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I listen to reggae. It fills me with love. Even when people are telling me to f off and die. Reggae is audio equivalent of prozac. It's all good. Everything's gonna be alright.

14. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

You chased the one down and beat him? ;)

I haven't really seen anything I would call road rage. I've seen plenty of terrible, terrible drivers. I was following a driver the other day who made about 5 turns the same as me, yet never signaled a single one and slammed the brakes hard before making the turn. I finally got past her and saw that the driver had a cell phone in her left hand... the hand that would be used for signaling. Idiot.

15. I've been road rage free since giving up motorcycles. I haven't torn anyones rear view mirrors off or punched dents in any hoods lately :mad: My old Wagoneer is like a tank, people get out of my way. If they crash into it, nothing happens to it :p

16. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i've been listening to some Bob Marley lately , and yeah ,
    i'm in a good mood too !!

got any other suggestions ?? :D

17. bloodfairy13

bloodfairy13

Feb 27, 2004
    Kentucky
    I was on my way to walmart once, and this person in a purple car pulledout of Wendy's, into the right lane, and immediately switched into the left lane, where I was just chilling...I had to slamon the brakes to avoid hitting the jerk...

and then, there was one time that I was going through the walmart parking lot, and this guy in a big pickup truck tried to pull out in front of me...which, naturally, instead of slammingon the brakes, I swerved around him screaming a particular word that starts with F...it was actually quite funny...minus the almost wreck...

and then, there was the one time that I was driving around in the kmart parking lot, and wasn't paying attention and almost hit this woman in an SUV...

AND THEN...there was the time that I was driving in the left lane bhindthis person who was going really slow, and then the person decidedto get in the turn lane, but it was right after a light, and some guy coming the other direction tried to get in thesame turn lane, and THEN they noticed each other, and swerved into traffic, which happened to be RIGHT where I was...so I swerved to avoid getting hit, and I actually surprised thatI didn't get hit by the big Lowe's truck driving beside me...

yeah...

maaany times that people were being idiots...there's anotherstory, that I won't tell that happened last night...involving a stop sign, "incoming traffic has the right of way" and a bunch of idiots who don't know what that means...lol

:)

18. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    Did those all happen on a Thursday?:)

19. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I think there is something we could learn here...:ninja:

20. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Well, I have an awesome roadrage story :p

Driving down a residential road, doing maybe 5 over the limit, and some jackass decides to tailgate me, and he was really close in. so I slow down to 50 (km/h) which is the limit. For some reason, he keeps coming, and bumps my rear to try to get to go faster, so I whip out my cell, call 911, and give them the liscence plate #, while speeding up to get slightly ahead. Then the raod narrows alot, so I slam the brakes, turn the wheel full tilt, and stop the car.

The other guy stops the car in a panic, and by then I'm out of my car, and by that time I'm put of my car, holding his door open, and I pull him out (wasn't wearing a seatbelt :rollno: ) and smack him really hard in the face to keep him put.

Cops come, ticket him for reckless driving (I have some sratchmarks on my rear bumper from where his liscence plate bolts slid into me) and he'll be paying for the touchup paint soon.

Serves the B*****d right!