Road ready cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eno50, Aug 10, 2009.

1. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    Hello, I was thinking about re-covering one of my speakers cabs, that has the rat fur,I thought about stripping it down and maybe laminate it and then add the road case trim and corners sort of like the mesa road cabs that are out there.
    Has any one done this,I know it is going to be more expensive than To tolex or the rino spraying but it seems possible since you can buy all the road case trim and hardware now.
    It is a good old EV cab that sounds good but looks bad ,all the rat fur is pealing off and it time to do a facelift...

Eno

2. Bricesedge03

Bricesedge03

Apr 12, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    what are you going to laminate it with. seems like a good idea. and should be easy and striaght forward.

3. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    Well I thought about just counter top laminate that you can buy at Lowes or any lumber supply place,Just strip the cab of the rat fur and sand her down ,glue the laminate down and trim with a laminate trimer like alittle router, the buy your alum-angle trim,attach with screws instead of rivits then put your ball corners on and handels.... I think it would work,thats why I was asking if anyone has tried this route,maybe there are problems I have not seen in doing this.
    Eno

4. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    You may run into a little trouble if you have rounded edges on your cab. Formica/laminate is very thin and brittle, and needs to be attached to plywood sheets. You might have more luck with ABS plastic sheets. You also might just square off the corners with some type of strong filler and then glue the formica to that, then put your corners on it. You could also just get a roadcase made, and put your cab into it, but that would add some significant weight.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021