1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Road Report: Hydrive 410 / SM900

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chicago_mike, Mar 19, 2009.

1. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Just got back from a few dates in Wyoming and Alberta Canada.:)

The rig I used is my new hydrive 410 and my trusty old swr sm900. Bass used was a lakland 55-01 sunburst.:cool:

First the bad news : The fan on my sm900 died but since Im back home I fixed that so I only got to use the swr for a couple nights. The rest of the time in Edmonton, I used the house head. A traynor 400 watter. The traynor, I forget the model number, was greyish in color but the new ones are black I guess. The head was total poop to my ears. I heard a HUGE difference in note definition and overall punch comparing the two heads. Ill keep my swr for now.:)

2 gigs where in very close quaters where the amp was at 2 on master volume, stage was the same floor as the rest of the club, just with carpet. The cabinet provided more punch than I was used too and had clearity and depth down to the low B. it easly handled it at a low volume.

1 week at Blues on Whyte in Edmonton. heres where I got stuck with the house head. I had the preamp gain just under the clipping and had the master easily at 7 to 9. Constantly wishing I had more volume. Now when the amp would fart a little, it didn't come out nasty sounding in my cabinet, it just came out as overdrive, so thats a plus I guess. At that stage volume, it shook the house though, just not me.:p The sound guy was a first very skeptical..thinking I was going to have to go thru the house...Then I plugged in and popped a note..I only went thru the house once in a while to see/hear any difference..that cabinet flooded the club with depth and punch as the soundman said, even asked if I thought I was too loud, before going in the house mix. At these volumes, the cabinet itself didnt distort or fart or give up the ghost on low B string notes, it handled that stuff with ease.

Pedals, the cabinet really sings with effects. I only used a couple pedals, envelope filter and a wah but with the punch and clarity it has, effects came out quite sparkly to my ears, a real plus here.

Noiw tonight I get to test the cab at high volumes at a big club with my now fixed sm900 in mono. So Ill give a report on that too. But overall, the hydrive is worth every penny. Easy to transport too!:smug:

A travelling bonus, getting to meet all the local talent. Its one of the reasons I do this crazy thing called music.

2. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Very cool! The SM900 is a great head. Glad to hear you are digging the cab, I'd love to check one out.