1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Road Trip + NYC == 1st Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mdurell, Apr 18, 2006.

1. mdurell

mdurell

Mar 9, 2006
    Boulder, CO
    I did it... While I was in NYC last week (I had posted previously about this planned road trip) I bought a beautiful 1950 Kay C-1 that spoke to me. I also found a beautifully restored carved that REALLY spoke to me but at $12k I'd rather my wife continue speaking to me... Besides, as a begineer, I couldn't do that carved beauty justice.

David Gage's shop is amazing and I never though I'd see so many basses at once.

Thanks for everyone's advice and guidance!

I also had a chance to see Mulgrew Miller at Smoke and, that same night, took the train downtown to Birdland and saw Gary Burton. NYC is an amazing place for jazz... *IF* you can afford it. $25-30 cover charge per person per set PLUS a $10-15 minimum food and/or drink minimum adds up pretty fast. If I lived there I'd never pay that much but only going there a few times a year at most it seems worth it.

Now it's onto some bonding time with the Kay. I'll have to post some pics in the near future.

2. appler

appler Guest

Congratulations on your new bass! I was just at David Gage's shop yesterday. I glanced at the (many, many) pictures on the wall and noticed that the photos of my teacher and Ed Fuqua's teacher are right next to each other.

P.S. Sit at the bar next time. :D

3. flint

flint

Aug 24, 2004
    GA
    So how are you getting the bass back to CO?

I miss NYC and Smoke especially.

Flint

4. mdurell

mdurell

Mar 9, 2006
    Boulder, CO
    She rode in the back of the new (to us) Subaru I was driving out to pick up.

Smoke is a cool club and not to far from my in-law's apartment. It's a bit cramped in there but Smoke is an appropriate name. Birdland is more comfy and upscale but I didn't feel as connected with the music there as I did at Smoke. In either case I felt quite disconnected from a chunk of cash in my wallet when seeing the big names play. Like I said above, if I lived there I would never shell out that kinda dough except on the very rare occasion. It surely made me appreciate the Boulder jazz scene that much more.

I should say that I can totally see the appeal of these Kays... The Engleharts might be made from the same templates but they are FAR from the few Kays I've heard. This girl just sings and is quite easy to play (considering). My fingers are already instinctivly jumping to notes and, while I have much to improve, scales and arpeggios and such are falling under my fingers much faster than I thought they ever would. OTOH, stamina is non-existant but I know that will come with time as the muscles develop.

5. pbzep0670

pbzep0670

Dec 2, 2004
    Harriman, TN
    It sounds beautiful. There are two old Kay C-1s in my bandroom, but I don't know how to tell the age.

6. mdurell

mdurell

Mar 9, 2006
    Boulder, CO
    At the link Paul New posted there is link off that page that associates the serial number ranges with years of production.