Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Road trippin' with my favorite acoustic.... uhm wait...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowEnd Theory, Aug 10, 2005.

1. LowEnd Theory

LowEnd Theory

May 31, 2005
    Alright, now heres whats goin on people...
    Ive got this little road trip planned. Just me ridin solo, with my acoustic bass of coarse, from Chicago down to sunny Florida for about 2 weeks :cool:
    Hmmm... now if I only owned an acoustic. :meh:
    My budgets extra low and i wont be doin shows or anything so its really just for me... more of a practice bass, or something to just groove with along the way.
    I need an AB, preferrably an AEB, and a case or gig bag for under $400 George Washingtons.... :eek:
    I know, i know, its tight....
    would any of you faithfull low enders recommend any cheapies, or even think than any of these can get the job done with decent tone and playability ?... I would very much prefer a cutaway (for those hard to reach spots) :smug:

Playmate Cutaway EAB
    Rogue AB-304 Acoustic Electric
    (i hear not too many people are a fan of these rogues but i like that flamed maple look. nevertheless, if its garbage i'd rather pay more for something better) :rolleyes:
    Ibanez AEB10E (getting close to pricey, or i would have probably bought one already)
    Fender BG31 Acoustic-Electric Bass (its not a cutaway :( )
    Michael Kelly STAB4 Acoustic Bass (this might be pushing it price wise, but if its worth it..... hey)
    thats all ive pretty much seen around.... any opinions? :confused:
    Recommendations welcomed
    Thanks homies! :D

LET

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I'm also looking to buy one, but I need a 5 string and my budget is even tighter than yours.

I've played a lot of cheap 4 strings, so far the best one was a Brownsville at Sam Ash, the Robellis were also good. I got a used JBP 5 off ebay and it felt good but the truss rod had no more adjustment range so I had to send it back.

Right now I'm looking at the Dean Playmate 5, MF has 'em for $229. Anybody tried one of those?

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i'd like an acoustic, but i want to buy an acoustic guitar first.

4. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    check ebay...tons of cheap ones there.

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Olympia makes a nice ABG -- it's a laminated top version of the Tacoma THunderchief:

Olympia ABG

I have the Tacoma and I love it. The Olympia isn't quite as nice, but its less than half the price of the Tacoma.

A used Michael Kelly would fit your needs and budget, too.

6. Go for the Ibanez it's at the higher end of your price range but it's a nice bass. I've had mine for 4months now. You can always split it into 3 payments through AMS.

7. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I love my Michael Kelly Dragonfly 4! I've played the Stab4 and it's just as good, without all the fancy asthetics. If you can swing it, that would be my recommendation. ;)

Good Luck and Have Fun! :bassist:

8. how are you gonna play it while driving

9. LowEnd Theory

LowEnd Theory

May 31, 2005
    well, thats a really good question....
    didnt think about that....
    Im hoping the rental has cruise control....
    Either way i have a month or so to learn how to drive with my feet....

10. LowEnd Theory

LowEnd Theory

May 31, 2005
    Yo thanks a ton.....
    I knew there was a place where i could make 3 seperate payments but i couldnt remember the place...
    I thought i was going crazy.....
    This will actually extend my budget a bit, now that i can seperate the payments. Awesome.

So would you guys recommend any of the Micheal Kellys over the Fender BG29 Acoustic Electric Bass Guitar...
    Cause i had my eye on that one...
    I think it looks sweet... anyone know how it plays/ sounds?

LET

11. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    don't know how available they are in the us, but i played an aria acoustic that i absolutely loved. i'd say it'd be in your price range.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Go with the MK STAB4... it's the same as the dragonfly without the fancy inlay. It's a great bass and I'm working my way up to one or a real Tacoma, perhaps even a Martin B-1E. But that's me, the STAB is a great bass, go for it!

13. BartmanPDX

IIRC, the STAB has a solid spruce top. In my experience with Michael Kelly basses, the solid-topped ones resonated much more and had a better (and louder) tone than the laminated ones. The fancy inlays may be worth sacrificing the volume and tone for, if that's what you like, but for me, it was all about the tone. The Soild AB model has a solid spruce top and bottom, and was the runner-up choice for me when I was looking for an ABG (I went with the Tacoma instead). If you go to the Michael Kelly guitars website, they have sound clips of the various models, and you can hear the tonal differences between the solid topped models and the laminated ones. The only model with a Solid top and the vine inlay, BTW, is called the "Dragonfly Rose" model.

14. BartmanPDX

Here's the page with the sound samples and descriptions of the different features of the various MK ABGs:

Michael Kelly website

The ones with the "flame" and "quilt" maple tops are laminated.

15. LowEnd Theory

LowEnd Theory

May 31, 2005
    So whats the difference exactly between the STAB and the SOLID AB?

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am actually very satisfied with my Epiphone El Capitan. I've seen them going for very low prices, used. I will say, though, that they seemed to be a little inconsistent from instrument to instrument. A good El Capitan, though, seemed better to me than basses costing much more.

Sounds like a nice trip! Enjoy!

Tom.

17. BartmanPDX

Well, aside from the obvious aesthetic difference that the Soild AB has block inlays while the STAB has dot inlays, the more important issue is construction:

The Solid AB has solid mahogany back. ST-AB has a laminated mahogany back. I think the back makes a little less difference than the top, but I haven't tried them out back-to-back (bad pun, I know). :D

I'm not sure what the price difference is, but if it isn't too great, and you don't mind the looks of the block inlays, I'd be tempted to go for the Solid AB -- you can NEVER have too much resonance and volume in an ABG.

Good luck in your purchase! Whatever you get, I know you'll love it. I was up until 1AM this morning playing my Tacoma. :)

18. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    The solid one is nearly $200 more than the Stab4 iirc from when I bought mine. I believe it's a litte less than $600 USD. I know it was more than the Dragonfly was. ;)

Good luck and have fun!

19. LowEnd Theory

LowEnd Theory

May 31, 2005
    Yeah, thanks. i think im leaning towards that Solid AB...
    Tones the biggest thing, and I actually prefer the block inlays look... and I'm actually gonna put some on my Fender jazz....
    Besides, IMO i think those other Micheal Kelly basses are a lil over the top in design.... all those inlays and glossy finished patterns and lacey designy filagree stuff is a bit much for me.
    I actually prefer the more straighforward workhorse design...
    i mean, hey, im a fender guy... :smug:

BTW, I played a Tacoma acoustic at GC and really loved it, sounded amazing compared to everything else. Resonated very well unplugged....really warm and round. Wasnt sure if it was a thunderchief though.... :meh: