1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roadhouse Blues giving me the blues

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BOOG, Apr 3, 2019.

1. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Does anyone else have/had a problem running a perpetual pattern/rhythm?

Roadhouse blues is an example: E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-A-Bb-B (repeat endlessly):mad:

I am pretty certain it’s just a development of my technical ability and endurance. I was hoping someone could possibly give some validation to my problem and/or guidance to getting past this.

Any and all helpful comments welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Practice, practice,practice.
    I played that tune over a 15 year period. I was happy
    when it ended.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    If you're getting paid...
    Watch the dancers having fun...

4. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Re-harmonize, "modernize slightly".

5. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I’m actually going to play around with this. Thank you! It got me thinking out of the box not only for the repetitive line but I am working on a 12 bar solo that it’ll help with too.
    Much appreciated @Whousedtoplay

J_Bass likes this.
  6. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Learn 'What is hip?' Roadhouses repitition will be easy afterwards.

ahc, PlatoFunFactory, Remyd and 20 others like this.
  7. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Yes the tune is somewhat monotonous, but the trick to this song to to develop the triplet feel .
    Ya get in the pocket going with the drummer, and you have a whole new dimension.

8. At least you’re not a cellist playing Pachelbel’s Canon in D...

BigDanT, Spectrum, MattZilla and 9 others like this.
  9. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Put on a harmonica and play that too...that's what I do.:thumbsup:

10. Think of the flll as one group of notes, starting and finishing on E, and it’ll flow better.

E-A-A#-B-E

Jsn likes this.
  11. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I break up the monotony -- both physical and mental -- by varying where and I how I play the line on the fretboard. I usually start with the E on the A string (7th fret) and play the final triplet on the D string, but sometimes I'll switch and play the triplet "down" on the E string. At some point in the song I usually drop down and start the line on the open E (and play the triplet also on the E). Another trick that I stole from a bassist friend of mine is occasionally playing the triplet as D-D#-E (up an octave) instead of A-A#-B. If you time these changes right it can add some nice dynamics to the song as well. Also,, and I often play the last two notes of the triplet as hammer-ons rather than plucked notes to give my plucking fingers a break.

jthisdell, five7, Miker27607 and 5 others like this.
  12. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The fill isn't the problem. The speed and rhythm of the triplet kills me about a third of the way into the song. I'm having a hard time staying in the zone to maintain it. Also, during rehearsal on more than one occasion I will get back into the zone of the triplets and then I miss the beginning of chorus.

13. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    yes, definitely doing better since I started using hammer on. I do play around with using different root locations and that helps. I will try the walk D-D#-E and see how that goes tonight.

thanks for the ideas!:thumbsup:

Spidey2112 and Lobster11 like this.
  14. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Most bands who play this beat it to death. Ease up. Old Jim sings about the end being near, but he also sings "let it roll, baby roll." That's what you want to do.

15. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Exactly.
    Part of my battle has been trying to get the rest of the band to slow it down a little. Inevitably, the guitars will start rushing through it and then the drummer picks up on their frequencies and starts rushing.
    Eh, it'll get sorted out but I will make every effort to never include it in the set list again.

16. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Do you all think the radio recorded version was sped up a little bit in production? To me it just seems too fast but I don't know. I know that happens or used to happen because of something to do with air time and appeal to the masses.

17. I like the live version of the song which has a few variation from the original bass line and I use it live as well as something of my own during the break that keeps them dancing :)

Miker27607 and BOOG like this.
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Biggest challenge for me is not letting my attention wander (due to boredom) during a blues song. Especially if it has a shuffle beat. (I absolutely loathe most shuffle beat blues songs.)

Nothing wrong with blues per se. Except when it becomes the platform for endless guitar wanking. I’m not the sort of player who’s super happy about locking into a seemingly endless three chord groove no matter how much it can be spiced up with the usual rhythmic tricks and reharmonization games. BTW…ever try reharmonizing a chord with a blues guitarist? Most I’ve dealt with will just glare and snarl the name of the cord at you because they assume you’re playing the “wrong” chord.

Fortunately there’s help for people like me who have a short attention span and a full-time attitude problem.

BEA7A295-07E3-4308-BB92-A5C6D8FE02CF.

Just stomp once, lay down two slightly different 12-bar bass lines, and stomp again. Then go get yourself an ale.

Carry on mates! Just give us a nod when you’re getting about ready to wrap this one up. :thumbsup:

;) (Kidding. Just kidding.) :laugh:

Spectrum, Rilence, Madhouse27 and 9 others like this.
  19. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    You'd love my band's version: We segue into Roadhouse out of Truckin'.

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

LOL! Touché.

Just don’t do Red House? Please? Oh please don’t! I’ll be good. Promise. :laugh::)