Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RoadReady cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I got a line on an older PowerHouse 1000 RR. Someone on another thread said that the RoadReady cabs were better sonically, than the new ones, as well as better built.. It is the older one with the EVs in it.
    Any input here?

Also, are the newer ones front ported, or rear ported. The 6-10 PH is rear.
    I guess I'm not done.

2. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    They Rock! Indestructible, sound great and look cool too. Hope you have some muskles, though.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A great, great cab and a great, great weight to load in/out. RR's rock hard. As far as I know, all RR cabs are front ported, yesterday, today and tomorrow.

4. Rockbobmel

How about the new regular 1000s? Are they front ported?

5. Rockbobmel

Oh, How much do they weigh?

6. Rockbobmel

Are the RR cabs a "cab in a cab", or is the flight case the actual enclosure? In other words, does the RR have twice the thickness outside?

7. MESA RR cabs are cabs built into a raod case with a latching front cover...how much for the RR powerhouse yer lookin at?..are the speakers blown?..does it have the latching cover?..is it beat up?...does it work?...ect..ect.., if you answered no to any or all of these questions(based on how much they're askin)..get it!!!the Mesa rr cabs are the best sounding,toughest,heaviest,most "bang for your buck" cab there is for "live performance on any stage"...in any enviroment,indoor,outdoor....it don't matter they kick all others a$$,and they'll do it longer!!!!..:)now I know I'll get flamed by all the other people here who use different cabs..but I will put a Mesa RR cab up against ANY "hi-fi,"audiophile"...or whatever"flavor of the week" cab that exists...and I guarentee you the Mesa will crush it..especially in a loud rock setting...(now jazz on the otherhand) nothing else will come close,except maybe a 8-10 SVT or this Sunn cab I had a loooong time ago with a 18 and 12in. speakers....maybe??..I bought my 2x15(used) some 13 years ago and have not looked back.I bought a 2x10(also used) aprox. 3 yrs. ago to run w\2x15...heavy rig,..yes,but never let me down,EVER! and its the most consistent rig I ever heard..hands down...what I'm sayin is BUY IT!!! you'll be kickin yourself later if you don't.:(

8. Rockbobmel

Everything is OK with the cab. It will have to be shipped and that will add $$.

What I want to know is...Is the cab a double thickness, or is the outside "CASE" the only shell to the enclosure?

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No, it's not a cab in a cab. The case is the actual enclosure.

10. boogiebass is right about the enclosure...and I will also add that the vinyl covered cabs(diesel,powerhouse or whatever they call'em now)do sound different than the RR cabs(very good,but different),and I doubt that putting one "in a roadcase" would give the same sound as a RR...just a thought...

11. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    they're awesome bass cabinets. really impressive to think how well these things were designed. instead of blowing money on chromed grills and designer handles, they put in options that we can actually use, like, the smoothest casters in the business, heavy duty road cases, and Electro Voice speakers!! Don't worry so much about the weight unless you've got to carry this thing up stairs. with the mesa boogie trak loc casters system they pretty much roll themselves.

-steve

12. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Those caster were great on my old diesel cabs! The Edens I had later were horrible. Whatever I end up with next, I'm going to equip with Mesa's.

13. Rockbobmel

Yea, I just put some Ernie Ball casters on the Eden. Big Diff!!
    20 Bugs

14. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    My problem was that the Eden ones would drop out sometimes or that they would come out part-way and cause my cab to sit at an angle. Very annoying. Plus they don't handles sidewalk cracks, bumps, etc very well either!:mad:

15. whats the difference between the Roadready and Powerhouse cabs?

16. Rockbobmel

The RoadReady cabs use flight cases for the outer shell.

The PowerHouse cabs are the newer version of the Diesel (vinyl covered).

17. So you're saying that the RR cabs are more expensive because they're more rugged? No sonic differences between the 2?

18. Rockbobmel

19. I had a Mesa Boogie RR 2-15 EV's, I think they used a 9 or 12 ply Baltic Birch or something. Great looking great sounding cabs.