Roadside attractions between LA, and Vegas?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ulrich, Jul 8, 2008.

1. I'm driving to Las Vegas from Los Angeles, to attend RollerCon What are some roadside attractions to check out? Concrete dinosaurs? Buildings shaped like stuff? Independent diners? Ghost towns?

2. Jeremy Crockett

Jeremy Crockett Supporting Member

{}

Well, Calico if you've never been there.

3. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    Well... there is always beautiful Barstow!! :rolleyes:

Years ago I awoke on the floor, amongst a few empty bottles of Wild Turkey, in the backseat area of my car sweating like crazy... I unfolded myself and opened a window to get blowtorched by an even hotter wind outside the car!! I stumbled out and eventually figured out that I was parked in a gas station parking lot just east of Barstow.

No big deal... except... the last thing I remember was partying back at home in Lewistown, Montana!! :eyebrow:

I got in my car... drove on to Huntington Beach... parked my car... and played bum for two weeks on the beach...

Yeah... that's it... Barstow... :D

4. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Barstow has a small stretch of old Route 66 with some shops, cafes, and a Route 66 museum. It's pretty interesting even if you haven't been drinking Wild Turkey. :D

There's a good restaurant in Baker called the Mad Greek. Good food and ice cold milkshakes. I always stop there on my way to Las Vegas. Baker also has the tallest thermometer. Not too interesting unless you see it reading 115 degrees--which I have on numerous occasions.

Ben

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    There's a big outlet mall in Barstow. There's the world's tallest thermometer in Baker. Other than that, it's a lot of brown dirt and rocks. Just get to Vegas as quick as you can.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    there's zzyzx road.

7. Bun Boy

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Used to be that the Roy Rogers Museum in Victorville was well worth a stop for us boomers....but it has moved to Branson, MO.

9. Sweet! Thanks y'all. This is gonna be a killer road trip.

10. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    If you like jerky, Alien Jerky in Baker is awesome. They have friggin' clam jerky that's off the charts! It's one of the highlights of my Vegas trips-I actually look forward to Alien Jerky and wind up with about a month's supply.

Oh yeah, the world's biggest thermometer is a bit of a disappointment. F that thing.

If you're into meth whores there are an abundance of those on the way as well.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021