Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roadtrip to Curbow's shop, Pt 1:The New 6 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Mar 9, 2002.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    A couple of weeks ago, I won this Curbow on Ebay. It is a custom handbuilt bass made by Greg in about '93.
    [​IMG]

It has a mahogany back/flame maple top body, with a purpleheart neck/ebony fretboard neck. The electronics are Bartolini pickups and a Bartolini XTCT preamp. The bass had a couple of cracks in the neck. The seller said it was knocked over at a gig, and he had his guitar tech do the best job he could do to repair it. The auction stated "Take your chances with this neck, or send it back to Curbow to get a new one." I guess that scared a lot of people off, because I ended up winning this bass for $615 including a Protec Hardshell case! :eek: :D How's that for a deal?

I figured I'd take my chances with the neck, and probably end up getting a rockwood neck for it anyway. The bass showed up on Wednesday at work. Today, Dave Siff and I drove up to Curbow's shop. I wanted him to check out the damage to the neck, and give it a general checkup. Much to my surprise, Chris (Curbow's assisstant) started taking the bass apart pretty much the second we got there. He got right to work on the repair spot. It was a solid repair, but it was sloppy. Chris basically redid the repair from scratch while I waited, and resanded the neck to where it feels like new! Purpleheart makes a great neck! There will be no need for a new neck. This one feels amazing.

They also changed out the input jack, reglued the fretboard to the neck, replaced a broken knob screw, added shielding to the pickup cavity, refiled the fret ends, and sanded down a chip out of the headstock. After the repairs, it was a new set of strings, and a complete setup.

All told, they spent about 3 1/2 hours working on it while I was there.

As for a review--the bass sounds amazing. You would never think this low B had a 34" scale. I can't wait to play it through my new Aguilar cab. I'll add a couple more pics of the bass.

Check out Pt 2 for some pics of the other Curbow in the works!

2. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here's a closeup of the headstock--Curbow added strips of both the flame maple and mahogany over the purpleheart. There are also black veneer accent lines. The spacing at the nut is a lot tighter than it looks. I'd say it's closer spacing than my Jazz bass. Not cramped at all, though.

[​IMG]

3. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here's a close up of the crack. Chris tried to dye the epoxy used for the repair so it wouldn't be so white, but it wouldn't take. I wan't too concerned.

Curbow assures me that the repair is solid. And, you can't feel anything when you rub your hand over it. It's amazing.

[​IMG]

4. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here's a closeup of the body. You can see how thin the body is on the upper bout where you rest your arm. Very cool. I was scared the bass would be neck heavy since purpleheart is such a dense wood, but I haven't seen any problems yet. The bass is pretty comfortable to wear, too. I think the 3 inch wide leather strap helps.

[​IMG]

5. Jason,

That's one sweet bass! Can't wait for the next get together so I can see it! I don't usually like red, but that's a really pretty color. I never find cool deals like that!

Lisa

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool beans :D i can't wait to see it in person too.

7. That 6-string is killer! What an awesome score. It was cool watching Chris do the repairs.. I had never really seen a luthier at work like that before. We also got to play a couple of new Curbow 4-strings moments after Greg completed them.. one with a Bartolini P/J set-up and one with EMG J/J's. Both very cool!

8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Oooo....ANOTHER nice Curbow for bassmonkee! Congrats.

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    _right_ _on_ ! that six banger looks great, man. and what a great deal...can't wait to check it out ;)