Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roadtrip to Curbow's shop, pt 2:the new 8 string fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Mar 9, 2002.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    While they were working on my bass, I went in the back to see the progress on my 8 string fretless. After the neck is finished, he'll be having both the body and the headstock finished in ice blue metallic . The body is an alder body from my old Peavey Palaedium Jeff berlin bass. The neck will be quartersawn Rockwood lite (The same as rockwood, but it isn't pressure treated, so it isn't as dense, or as heavy). The fingerboard will still be regular ol' rockwood. The best thing I've heard for fretless.

All of the hardware will be black, and I was lucky enough to score the last Schaller 8 string bridge from Warmoth. It looks like Schaller is no longer offering the 8 string bridge in black, and this was the last known piece of stock available anywhere!

Hopefully, the bass will be done some time in April. If all goes well, I will be bring 4 custom Curbows to the next Atlanta Bass get together. Awwwww,,,,yeah.... :)

Here are a couple of shots of the first step of the neck. The first one is the neck template on my neck blank.

[​IMG]

2. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The second one is my neck blank. Each of those lines is a laminate of birch and resin. You think a 9 piece neck is sturdy, try 50 pieces with two graphite bars, and a rockwood fretboard. :D

[​IMG]

3. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    This last one is a pic of how the headstock will look with tuners. The headstock was designed so all 8 strings could have a straight path through the bridge to the tuners.

[​IMG]

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oooo, that's going to be cool

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Hot cheese!