1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roadworn P Bass Pickup change??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A_E_A, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Im about to get a roadworn p bass and was wondering if anyone has swapped the pickups in one?
    Im thinkin of gettin some lindy fralins to put in it. people are saying great things about the tone of these basses standard. how much of an improvement will the pickups make?? Even if people have done something similar to a 50s which is pretty much the same bass would help.
    i did a search nd didnt find too much so if there is something similar around that would help too.
    thanks heaps

2. awall

awall

Oct 30, 2006
    I have only played a couple RW Ps but I wouldn't change anything. I play in a three piece blues band and these Ps have the sound I am looking for. I just wish it was cheaper. I have tried to get that sound from a few MIM standards and it is not in them. I might buy one anyway.
    Al

3. Before you do anything with it, try it out. Really listen to what it sounds like, and then you can think about changing pups.

4. I am going to play with it first before dishing out cash for new pups. i was just interested to hear about people who have changed them. Its not gonna be my main bass so im not too worried and not in a hurry. Just trying to get some opinions

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    BIG +1

The pickup in the Road Worn P sound just like a good Precision should.

I would not consider the Fralin to be an upgrade in this case.

If you want vintage type tone, leave it alone.

If you have a preferance for the tone of the Fralin's, then go for it, but if you're trying to make it "more vintage sounding" the Fralin is a step in the opposite direction (required IMO)