Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rob Allen action

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheTurtle, Mar 5, 2004.

1. TheTurtle

TheTurtle Guest

Nov 13, 2003
    Hi all! I've received my new Rob Allen Mb-2 5 strings fretless since few weeks and It's great! It's an alder body with a gorgeous flamed koa top, with koa neck.

I've a question for other Rob Allen players. This bass it's very easy to play, but sometimes I find the action quite high in the upper register. Do you have the same experience and how do you set it? Unfortunatly I think there are not much way to set-up this bass.

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Did you get the one from The Groove Shoppe? Sounds just like it.

3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    sounds like a truss adjust.

with my old MB2, i found there to be a fine line between low action
    and buzzing.

f

4. TheTurtle

TheTurtle Guest

Nov 13, 2003
    No I've ordered it directly from Rob.

Yes, I've found a good line between buzz and action, but I think I can't do better than this.

5. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I recently acquired a Rob Allen 5-string fretless, and had the same questions. As far as I can tell, you have two options - a truss rod adjusment, and reshaping the bridge saddle to lower the strings.

I've done this before on an F-Bass with a wooden bridge. The best approach is to first determine how much you want to lower a particular string, and then transfer that dimension to a mark on the saddle. Make a notch in the top of the saddle as a guide. Use a round file and CAREFULLY create a slot for the string down to the mark you made. Put the strings back on and check the action. When everything is at the desired height, reshape the rest of the saddle.

The time I did this, I went a little too far, so I put a shim under the saddle to get the height where I wanted it.

Also, Rob Allen sells blank saddles to $10.

JD

6. TheTurtle

TheTurtle Guest

Nov 13, 2003
    This is a good solution, but don't you think you can loose something in sound on the lower register in this way?

7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I agree that it could be a result. I'm not going to do it myself, but I wanted to pass on my experience with adjusting this style of bridge.

My other fretless is a Roscoe on which I had the action set VERY low. After playing the Rob Allen every day for about a week, I found it hard to play the Roscoe with it's ultra-low action and soft Thomastik strings, so I raised the action on the Roscoe and now everything feels good.

JD

8. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i prefered the lower action at the first 5 frets (or so), cuz it gave me that great RA MB GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmwah.

anything higher gave me more of an acoustic thump.

f