Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rob Allen comments, sugestions, reviews...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yamarc, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I want a Rob Allen bass, let me know why you like them and what you use them for. I am thinking of going with a 4 stringer but I am open to whatever. Fretted or Fretless? MB1 or MB2? Vintage or newer? Anything to watch out for? Thanks, Marc

2. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I love mine.

MB-2 Fretless 5
    Alder body
    Walnut top
    Maple neck
    Macassar ebony FB

I use it for pretty much anything and it sounds great. As for things to watch out for, I can't think of one. Rob is a really great guy.

and the obligatory picture...

[​IMG]

3. I love my Rob Allen. I use mine for walking stuff mostly and for things where I want to try to mimic a double bass. Mine's a 5 string MB2 that I picked up used. Mine is the only Rob Allen I have played so I can't really say anything about different types. The only things I don't like about mine is that the body isn't contoured at all and the glossy finish on the neck.

Here's a little thing I made real quick to show the sounds of the bass, and beware my poor playing: http://www.giborama.com/users/rifter17/Music/roballen.html

4. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    Would he make a solid body with magnetic pickups? I love his simplistic body design. I whipped this up last night cause I was bored. Thought I'd share it since we're on the topic of Rob's basses.

[​IMG]

--Matthew
    PS--Thanks are in order to someone on here TB. They were showing pics of their wood for the top of their custom bass, but I can't remember who! Whoever you are, thanks!!

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've played several Rob Allens and have always been impressed. The instrument itself is vary simple and straightforward, and tone is extremely natural and detailed. The neck feels great, the balance is pretty decent, and the build quality is great. However, if you're going for that type of bass, I think you almost have to get a fretless in order to get all that you can out of the instrument. Rob Allens come highly recommended, and I wish I had one! ;)

6. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    cool. how wide is the string spacing on a 5er? 19 or 17 mm? For me, the wider the better, I could even use the B as a thumb rest when I am not using it, Marc

7. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a fretless MB2 LE, alder body, flamed koa top, ebony fretboard. Flawless construction, great playability, unique tone. My favorite fretless bass tone I've heard (with me behind the wheel).

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    They're beautiful instruments with a very handmade look and feel. No cons, other than the big pricetag, and the fact that the Labellas they're strung with feel a little weird compared to a normal roundwound string.

Just be sure that you have a use for the sound - it's not a jack-of-all-trades bass the way, say, a jazz bass is.

9. Uh, that'd be a Zon sonus. Rob's MB template is really close to Joe Zon's IMO.

10. Except for the graphite neck.

Yamarc,

I would strongly suggest that you look into Renaissance basses as well.