Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rob Allen Deep 5???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Dec 29, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    [​IMG]

good lord, these gorgeous pics are kickin me in the butt! anyone try one? how's it different from the more ubiquitious MB-2?

2. That is AMAZING looking! I love my MB-2 five string... it's very light, but it does have neck dive... which is not a good thing. I understand the Deep 5 fixes that. Besides the deeper body, there is an additional transducer inside the body that picks up even more of the acoustic sound than the piezo in the bridge.

3. That is one of the most amazing tops I have seen, totally unreal.

A Rob Allen has been on my GAS list for a long time and seeing this example has not helped at all!

Matthew

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx guys,

hehe, and nice of you to change your avatar, KJ? ;)

5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada

best top ever! im speechless

6. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

That is just Drop Dead Gorgeous!

I've been lusting for a Deep 4 string version for some time, the only thing I wish it had was rounder body edges and if I were ordering one I would want a 7.25" fingerboard because that's what I find comfortable. Now I just need to win the lottery or have one of my songs picked up, LOL.

I really need to drive up to Santa Barbara one of these days and play one of the Deep series, I've only played the MB-2 and that was years ago. I'm only about an hour and a half drive from there.

George

7. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Rob's shop is a great place to hang out, but he is moving from santa barbara to a place closer to LA. Still, just walking in taht man's wood room.......what a feeling :hyper:

8. I got inspired to put the Rob Allen back after I saw that amazing Deep 5!

9. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Please stop with these rob allen threads. I'm dying here. They're so freakin classy, it makes me GAS-y

10. There seems to be MB-2 4's and 5's regularly posted used on the Bass Northwest site for very good prices (usually for a little more than half of the original selling price).

11. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm seriously considering ordering an MB-2 4-string, and this is the first time I'm reading that it has neck dive. Do you really have to hold the neck up with force in order to play it?? This could really sour me on an MB-2.

12. I can only speak to the 35" scale 5 string version. The body is so light (the entire bass is only about 7 pounds), that it is neck heavy.... not disasterous like the old, original big headstock Ken Smith's or many Alembics, but I do find the neck heading South on the MB-2 5.

Since one of the 'marketing points' on the Deep 5 is that it is 'perfectly balanced', I assume this is a design issue with at least the 5 string MB-2's. I found Rob very honest and cool to deal with... I'd call him up and ask about the balance of the 4 versus 5.

PS It is balanced perfectly in the sitting position... It's standing with a strap that I'm commenting on.

13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    can't help but wax Allen...

i love my Rob Allen MB-2 4 string fretless.

i've had up to 15 high end basses...some of the best names in the biz.

i'm down to 4 now, and the Rob Allen WILL NOT BE SOLD!

pure joy.

i haven't tried the DEEP series, but i can imagine the insanity.

f

14. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    OK, thanks for clearing up part of the issue. I play only while seated, so then perhaps the neck dive would not be a problem for me. But if I should want to stand, then it might be. But as you imply, the 4 string neck may not be as heavy, so....

I'll be in contact with Rob soon enough -- we've been exchanging e-mails already.

This'll replace my '78 defretted Jazz that weighs 11.5 pounds! It's perfectly balanced, but weighs a ton! ;) At least it's in near perfect condition -- it's barely left the house in the 24 years I've owned it.

Howard

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I have major GAS for a Deep four fretless.
    Rob's stuff kills me.
    Sometime in the near futher?

16. I'd love to have an MB-2 lined fretless. My ex-teacher had a 5-string fretless, and he always had awesome tone with that thing, and he played mostly Jazz. He'd switch between the Rob Allen and an upright, and he probably played each pretty evenly.

I'm sure those Deep basses are incredible too...

17. Cool. Let us know what you end up doing. Remember, the Rob Allen and the Ric Turner basses that are similar really are meant to do a more upright type thing vs. a fretless electric bass sound. They come with tapewould flats and have a piezo pickup in the bridge that is buffered (no tone control, but the buffering fattens up the piezo and eliminates the impedence issues with typical bass amp inputs). It sounds great, but is not at all an 'roundwound fretless electric' sort of thing.

Edit: I just PM'd you. The sitting balance is not as good as I originally stated. :meh:

18. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I do want the "more upright type thing." ;) That was what led me to the Rob Allen. My Jazz fretless has TI Jazz Flats on it, and when I pluck the strings lightly over the end of the fretboard, it gives me a sound that starts leaning in the direction of an upright. It may be far from the true sound of an upright, but I find it far more expressive than a fretted bass.

19. In that case, you will LOVE the sound of the Rob Allen! I hope the balance is a little better on the 4, but you can definitely live with it in sitting position IMO.

20. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Hey...he might like that. Maybe even give you a bass.

:bag: