Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rob Allen MB2 vs. Rick Turner Renaissance

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by petermo, Apr 10, 2001.

1. petermo

petermo

Mar 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I'm in the market for an acoustic fretless and considering either of these 2 fine basses. Would appreciate advice from members. Thanks.

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    You should add the Azola Jazzman to the list. Same price range, same vibe and the same great kinda service you'll get from Allen or Turner.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I love muddying the waters;)

Don't forget the Godin fretlesses. The real sleepers in this category and nowhere near the price of the others.

Of the two you mentioned, I like the Rob Allen...a lot.

4. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Recently I had a chance to audition the Renisance and the Godin in one store and the Allen in another the same day. The Allen and the Turner are very close in build quality and there difference in design will be a matter for your taste.

The Godin suffered from a poor setup, and setup adjustment on these instruments is very limited.

I would give the edge to the Renisance. I prefered the neck/fingerboard shape and simple electronics. It was a mahogany body with a spruce table (top).

These aren't realy acoustic instruments. The bodies are hollow yet there aren't any F holes so there not realy hollow bodies. Someone should do a poll to name this type of construction. I like "Woodies."

Deffinatly try before you buy.