1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rob Allen VS Rick Turner.... Neck Quality/Mwaah factor ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jibreel, Sep 13, 2008.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Bit of a preamble. Questions are halfway down.

After running through a bunch of exotic basses and cash, I am back to where I started which is with my three Turner Ren basses. One fretted, two fretless. Acousticores on one, Black Nylon on the others. Semi-acoustic piezo basses are my thing.

So with my 2 fretless basses, I want the lowest action and the most mwaah.

Anyone who has a non-adjustable piezo bridge bass knows what a pain it can be to set them up. Shim the neck and adjust the truss rod. Maybe sand off the bottom of the saddle at the great risk of having uneven volume across the strings. Oh what I would give to be able to adjust individual string heights at the bridge.

Here is the problem. I shim the neck and adjust the truss rod and get the action low. 95% of the action is great but there are a few places on the neck, on different strings where there is to much string buzz/sitar effect.

Do any of you who have both Allens and Turners notice a difference?

Are the necks on one or the other more consistent?

Any one tried Acousticores on their Rob Allen ?

I recently tried a Allen 4 string and bass NW and the action was very low and even. Wondering if I should switch.

I am also aware that one could go though and painstakinly sand out the problem areas but this is an iffy proposition.

Thanks for any feedback.

2. Mwahh, is a function of low action and roundwound strings. I'm not going to say the Rob Allen is better or worse for that, but with the general goal of a pseudo-upright tone, the flats and medium action don't have a whole lot of mwah. I suppose you could get more if you had low action and roundwounds.

3. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Yes on the rounds and low action for mwaah.

The bass with Acousticores which are roundwound still has these irregularites in the neck which is my problem. The other bass also has the irregularites.

Also, decent mwaah can be obtained from flats. Not as muc as rounds of course.

4. If you're hearing irregularities in yours, it might be from uneven playing wear.

5. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I have a decent amount of experience with both brands, and haven't noticed a consistent difference, except the difference you'd expect from using TI Acousticores vs. LaBella? tapewounds or 34" vs 35" or different woods on the RA fretboard. A while back I tried both with tapewounds and the feel was approximately the same. I tried a RA with a ebony board that I didn't love, but another that IIRC had pau ferro and I liked it much more. All that said, nothing wrong with checking around for the bass that works best, but I suspect it's on an individual instrument, not a maker, basis. As you know, both are great builders. Good luck.

Marshall

6. I just A/Bed the turner renaissance vs the MB2 vs the Veillette yesterday at bass nw.
    addmittedly the turner was a 5, the RA a 4, and the Veillette a 6.
    All 3 fretless. All 3 thru an SWR 2X12 combo. The turner had acousticores and the Veillette and RA had LaBellas.
    All 3 had as much mwah as I wanted and more if I wanted more.
    Actually I thought the Turner with the acousticores had more growl, but less mwah than the RA and Veillette with the LaBellas.
    I am a HUGE LaBella fan but I really liked the Turner as well. I would be happy with either the Turner or the RA..but happier with a MB-2 and a Turner 5!!!

7. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    I owned the RT Ren 4 and I now own the RA Deep 4. They are very different basses. WHat got me on the RA kick was I played one at Bass Northwest and it was just more of the sound I was looking for.

Also, the necks on the RA vs RT are different. RA is not a Jazz profile, whereas RT is.

The RT I had was strung with the Acousticores. I didn't like the feel of them at all, and they are a very different sounding string. I put my Rotosound RS88 set on the RA when I had it. The Acousticores are more roundwound-y.

RT and RA both make excellent basses. The build quality and necks of both were excellent, so it really boils down to preference. You can't go wrong with either.

8. Played close to the neck, the Rob Allen Mouse has tons of mwah if you want it. It's so inherent in the bass, that I don't think you need to do all the fine tweaks you talk about. Just get the neck straight. I'm not sure if this has to do with the 30" scale, which makes the tension just a tad looser.

Of couse, as others have pointed out, it's not that stainless steel RW type of modern mwah, but if you want that, yank some frets out of a Jazz Bass and carry on:D

If you want maximum 'build and bloom' down low (my definition of mwah on these more DB-like semi-hollow tapewound loaded instruments), the Mouse is the real deal IMO.

I have never played a Turner. I am so impressed by dealing with Rob, that unless the Turner was light years better, I'd rather give Rob my money:)

9. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Im trying to articulate the difference. I'd say:

With Labella Tapes the Turner has beautiful even "mwahh" but less growl than the Rob. More refined, a bit more even. Very nice recording bass

The Rob sounds more aggresive...more dynamic. More "live"

The Veillette more articulate. sharper attack (like a good acoustic guitar). More subtle.

All sound and play great.....

Obligatory family shot:

piezopossetrio2.

Loring likes this.