Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rob allen vs. rick turner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkfish, May 4, 2003.

?

1. rob allen fo' sho

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. rick turner is the shiznit

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. they both be funkin awesome

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  4. dey both suck

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    pros cons of each?'

what dyou guys have?

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    They are both great in their own way, but if I had to choose one it'd be the Renaissance for its uniqueness in looks and feel. Depending on music style the Rob Allen is arguably more main stream and perhaps more useful though.

IMHO etc.

3. I've never played a Rob Allen, but I just got a Rick Turner fretless, and it is amazing. The sound is so unique. It has a very clear "fretlessy" sound, while at the same time having an incredible amount of warmth and depth. It sounds great no matter whaere the tone control is set.

4. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I've never played a Turner but I have 3 Rob Allens. I just got a new (used) fretless on Friday. I love these basses and I don't know of a con except maybe they aren't slap basses and the top is susceptible to sweat and skin moisture so you have to be careful about that.
    They have a great very deep woody tone and are light as a feather compared to other basses. The workmanship is impeccable. And the note definition is incredible. In my band I used to play a Smith and when I switched all my band members were amazed. They said the hear all my notes much clearer and with any low rumble of my other bass. The one bad thing about that is mistakes stand out a lot more.
    I might be selling one of my fretless basses soon because I can't afford all 3 let me know if your'e interested. I'm probably going to sell MB1 (burst)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    what kind of topwood is that in the pic with the dog?

NICE basses, dude.

6. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Redwood. It was special ordered. Redwood not even listed as an option on RA's web site. The back of the headstock has "Limited Edition" written on it. I think RA only makes a few a year with redwood.

7. Here's my Rick turner.