Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rob Allen vs Veillette

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bennet Pullen, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    What do you guys think? They seem to have similar concepts and looks (aside from double cutaway vs singlecut) and similar prices (for a 5). Who makes the better bass, and why?

2. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    I haven't played a Rob Allen, but I own a Viellette Mark IV fretless and I'm very happy with it. I can compare it to a Rick Turner Renaissance fretless (which I also own). Set flat the Turner has more pronounced mids while the Viellette has a slightly fatter bottom end. But with a little EQ you can make either one sound pretty close to the other. Both are beautifully playable quality instruments.

My Mark IV has a ribbon pickup in the bridge and no magnetic pickups. The build quality is first rate, and it's light and comfortable to play. No balance or ergomonic issues.

The Mark IV onboard 9V preamp is a Alvarez system 500B. This preamp has 3 bands of EQ with linear sliders, and also two internal trim pots for rolling off lows and highs.

My Mark IV came strung with black nylon tape wound strings which sounded OK, but I restrung it with Thomastik Infeld Acousticores and I prefer the TI strings for this bass. I can get a pretty realistic upright tone with the EQ set flat.

3. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I was suprised to find that the Viellette basses are not hollow or semi-hollow. I was impressed with the sound of the Veillette, but I have not played a Rob Allen (yet).

4. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    My Mark IV fretless is just over 2" thick, and is definitely a semi hollow body. I can see the interior chambers when I remove the preamp to change the battery. I'm guessing it weighs no more than 7 lbs. Maybe Veillette offers more than one body type, or maybe mine is just an older design. Joe V's signature on the back of the headstock indicates it was completed in June 1999. Forgot to mention when I compared the Mark IV to the Ren that both are strung with TI Acousticores.

5. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I spoke to the maker at NAMM and he told me that the bass I was playing (a red Mark IV fretless) had no chambers, but maybe that was just that particular NAMM bass. Or maybe I misunderstood.