Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rob Allen with thomastic aucousticore strings. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by enbee, Jul 3, 2004.

1. enbee

enbee

May 10, 2003
    Hi, I was wondering what people thought of putting the thomastic aucousticores (made for rick turner rennaissance basses) on a rob allen. My one concern is the fact that a round wound string may wear the fingerboard at a faster rate. I know someone (my brother) who has a rick turner renaissance and he wanted to try the Labella flats on it. We both think that one of the major differences in the sound between these two basses is the strings. I wanted to here someone elses opinion. Has anyone else tryed one of these combinations? Let me know.
    -thanks

2. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    I'm about to try the same thing (going from black nylon flatwound strings to Acousticores) with a Veillette Mark IV. Waiting for the new strings to arrive. Acousticores don't seem to wear the Reniassance fingerboards much at all, so I'm thinking it probably won't be a problem.

3. sedgdog

sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    Please let us know how the acousticores work out. I have a fretless and fretted Carvin AC50 and have been thinking on going from the LaBella black tapewounds to the acousticores. I will be curious if you will have to change the nut or how the lighter tension affects the neck relief. It appears the acousitcores are much thinner.

I really like the sound of the LaBellas, but they are not a very fast string.

Thanks,
    Tim

4. enbee

enbee

May 10, 2003
    Yeah that was another concern of mine. Not so much with the rob allen, but with the rennaissance. The reason for this is my brother has had some problems with his neck already, and he's a little nervouse to switch from strings that have such low tension (40-86) to the Labellas, which are 60-115. This is a huge difference. Also i just purchased my rob allen 2 weeks ago so i won't be changing the strings for a while. I'm just thinking ahead. What might happen is we might just switch the strings we have at the moment. I'll get back to you guys though. Thanks.

5. enbee

enbee

May 10, 2003
    What kind of fingerboard does your veillette have? Because one big reason for the lack of wear on the rennaissance is the cocobolo fingerboard.

6. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    when I owned the Rob Allen MB-2, my experience (and I tried both strings) is that the LaBella Tapewound Deep Talkin Flats are the best string for that bass

7. enbee

enbee

May 10, 2003
    Did the acousticores make the Rob Allen sound a lot like a rennaissance?

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I agree. The LaBellas are an intrical part of the Rob Allen's vibe IMO. My experience was that the LaBellas were very easy to play staccato.

I've used nickel roundwounds on all of my fretlesses except one, which I have the black LaBellas on. I haven't heard any of the "compromise" strings that give me the sound of roundwounds. Wear has never been an issue for me... I keep my action low, my amp's volume up and my touch light.

9. enbee

enbee

May 10, 2003
    Has anyone tryed the Labellas on the Rennaissance though? The problem that i saw was the normal Labellas weren't long enough (due to the depth of the bass and the string going through the body). If i used the extra-long Labellas used for rob allens, would they fit on the rick turner? My brother and I are very interested in the major difference between our two basses and our main thought is the difference in string. That is a reason why we're doing this experiment.

10. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    no, they sounded way too thin and made too much string noise. Now the string noise thing was likely some technique issues on my part, but the thin sound was the strings as compared to the Deep Talkin Flats

11. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Just a side note:

I got a recommendation from the guys at BassNW to try out a set of TI Jazz Flats on my MB2. They compared the LaBellas to a gut string and the Flats to steel upright string.

12. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    my experience was that TI Jazz Flats didn't sound "right" with the MB-2 either, although they sounded better than the Acousticores, they were too "clicky" and "clanky" and had too much low midrange to their sound

as always, YMMV. but to me LaBella's or a similar tapewound flat are the way to go on the MB-2