Rob Allens on Ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RunngDog, Apr 11, 2005.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    For anyone in search of a Rob Allen bass, there are 3 up for auction on Ebay at the moment -- the most I've ever seen at one time. In addition, there's a nice range represented - an MB-2 4-string, an MB-2 5-string, and a Mouse.

Rob Allens on Ebay
  2. whoa i have never seen those before and they are sooo clean i love the look!
  3. I own an MB-2 5 string and it's just fantastic... as close to an upright as a bass guitar is going to get. Great fit and finish also. Very light, but the MB-2 is a little neck heavy in standing position... it's fine sitting down.

I hear the fretted version sounds almost as organic as the fretless.
  4. Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004

5. I love my Mouse. It really is wonderful. If I have any complaints about it, it would that I am having a hard time with hand placement, as I normally rest a finger on the pickup and also it is very fragile. I gently bumped it into a music stand and it left a little ding (kind of like an upright in that way as well - bump a carved upright into anything and it is going to leave a ding). In any case, it is a joy to play and wonderful. I use it mostly to learn solos before moving over to the upright. I find that it is a great compliment to playing with an upright because the tones are big and organic. I also have been impressed with the Jaco mwah that I can get out of it. And it is a super beautiful instrument.
  6. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    I agree that Rob Allen basses are sweet. I'd love to try one of his new Deep 4's - they are supposed to sound even more like an upright than the MB2's! :hyper:

Speaking of MB2's, here's mine:

7. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I feel a little sorry for the seller of the MB-2 4-string -- his starting price is $100 higher than the BIN on the MB-2 5-string. Also, the maple top on the 5-string is gorgeous, whille it's hard to figure out what's going on with that Koa top on the 4 -- the color of the bass looks completely different from one photo to the next.
  8. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    I got one of, if not the, first Deep 4 basses Rob shipped (he was still tweaking the electronics while building mine). He worked with me to build exactly what I wanted, and boy did he knock it out of the park. I get my basses repaired by Mouradian in Cambridge, MA, and they helped me in the building by measuring my P-bass neck. Rob made a replica for my Deep 4.

I also requested a hardshell case for it (a custom option), and I think it's why it's an option now. It does sound very close to an upright and is a fine, fine bass to play. I sat in recently with a friend's big band, and boy, everyone took a shining to the sound and it wasn't even though my rig!

I am not sorry I bought it. I had a Turner Renaissance before it, but it just wasn't for me. Nice bass, tho.
  9. I will one day own a Rob Allen although due to financial issues... it could be a while! :(
  10. MarkW

Oct 31, 2000
    FenderP could you post a sound sample of the deep 4? Robs site still doesn't have anything up...I have been wanting to hear one for awhile..
  11. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    I don't have it recorded, but I will try to do something rudimentary ... it will make its recording debut later this year.