1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rob Allens on Ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RunngDog, Apr 11, 2005.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    For anyone in search of a Rob Allen bass, there are 3 up for auction on Ebay at the moment -- the most I've ever seen at one time. In addition, there's a nice range represented - an MB-2 4-string, an MB-2 5-string, and a Mouse.

Rob Allens on Ebay

2. whoa i have never seen those before and they are sooo clean i love the look!

3. af_12_sb.

that is just hot

4. I own an MB-2 5 string and it's just fantastic... as close to an upright as a bass guitar is going to get. Great fit and finish also. Very light, but the MB-2 is a little neck heavy in standing position... it's fine sitting down.

I hear the fretted version sounds almost as organic as the fretless.

5. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit

agreed

6. I love my Mouse. It really is wonderful. If I have any complaints about it, it would that I am having a hard time with hand placement, as I normally rest a finger on the pickup and also it is very fragile. I gently bumped it into a music stand and it left a little ding (kind of like an upright in that way as well - bump a carved upright into anything and it is going to leave a ding). In any case, it is a joy to play and wonderful. I use it mostly to learn solos before moving over to the upright. I find that it is a great compliment to playing with an upright because the tones are big and organic. I also have been impressed with the Jaco mwah that I can get out of it. And it is a super beautiful instrument.

7. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    I agree that Rob Allen basses are sweet. I'd love to try one of his new Deep 4's - they are supposed to sound even more like an upright than the MB2's! :hyper:

Speaking of MB2's, here's mine:

[​IMG]

8. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I feel a little sorry for the seller of the MB-2 4-string -- his starting price is $100 higher than the BIN on the MB-2 5-string. Also, the maple top on the 5-string is gorgeous, whille it's hard to figure out what's going on with that Koa top on the 4 -- the color of the bass looks completely different from one photo to the next.

9. FenderP

FenderP

May 7, 2005
    I got one of, if not the, first Deep 4 basses Rob shipped (he was still tweaking the electronics while building mine). He worked with me to build exactly what I wanted, and boy did he knock it out of the park. I get my basses repaired by Mouradian in Cambridge, MA, and they helped me in the building by measuring my P-bass neck. Rob made a replica for my Deep 4.

I also requested a hardshell case for it (a custom option), and I think it's why it's an option now. It does sound very close to an upright and is a fine, fine bass to play. I sat in recently with a friend's big band, and boy, everyone took a shining to the sound and it wasn't even though my rig!

I am not sorry I bought it. I had a Turner Renaissance before it, but it just wasn't for me. Nice bass, tho.

10. I will one day own a Rob Allen although due to financial issues... it could be a while! :(

11. MarkW

MarkW

Oct 31, 2000
    Austin,Tx
    FenderP could you post a sound sample of the deep 4? Robs site still doesn't have anything up...I have been wanting to hear one for awhile..

12. FenderP

FenderP

May 7, 2005
    I don't have it recorded, but I will try to do something rudimentary ... it will make its recording debut later this year.