Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rob Wright from Nomeansno

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by thewanderer24, May 2, 2002.

1. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Well, I am awful suprised that more of you people don't talk about Rob Wright from NoMeansNo. He is one of my all time favorites. Kind of wierd punkish, avant garde type music, but some great, great stuff for those into bass and drum driven very wierd punk stuff with an out there philosophical vocal bent.

A lot of their old stuff features nothing but Rob on bass and brother John on Drums (one of my favorite drummers) playing rockin tunes. Why bother with the rest of the mess if you can just get a good rhythm section??

Some of their recordings are pretty good - see the album "Wrong" for a fairly accessible intro to their particular madness - but the real sell, is when you see these guys play live. Absolutely rockin'!!

Is it just me??

2. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    For an old salt, Rob can rock us all off the map! Saw a couple shows from "The Worldhood of the World" tour a few years back. Wicked! On record, I like Sexmad, Small Parts, and 0+2=1. Prog/punk w/grindey P tones and singing bitchin' leads...ya can't beat that!

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'll have to check 'em out. In the Bass Player article, Rob says he prefers MIM P's. Strange, but cool.

4. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    When was he in Bass Player?? I'll have to find that issue.

I saw them on the mr. happy tour, and they were awesome. They had 2 drummers going, and of course, half the time, it was just Rob on bass and the two drummers. One of the best Live shows I have ever seen. I love the fact that a hard rockin band can make the guitar player go smoke a cig or two while they rock out for a couple songs.

Have you heard the Hanson Brothers stuff they do?? pretty funny, almost Ramones-ish, punk with lyrics focused around silly ice hockey topics. Being an ice hockey junky, it has a special place in my heart.

5. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    He was in BP a few months back...I missed that issue too...BUMMER! I saw an excerpt that said he uses Mex P-basses and an old Marshall head. He's got the best overdriven bass sound this side of John Wetton...in your face!

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    he said something like "MIM have the HOTTEST pickups i have ever heard..." or something like that... (like luodest, high output pickups)

i actually agree :D

*i cant remember if he said that though*

7. No Means No always a tasty sonic treat.. Great bassist!!!

8. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    And a great guy too! I had the opportunity to meet him and he is a down-to-earth hard working musician (like the rest of us chumps) into the indie/d.i.y. scene, much like another phenomenal musician, Mike Watt.

9. zoltank8

zoltank8

Aug 24, 2007
    Budapest
    Went to Brno last year to see them live and when they hauled their own gear through the bar into the concert hall...that was an amazing experience to see...you know, when you put your heart and soul into something, you are the most humble in your own trade while you could be king...I'll never ever for get it...hats off to the likes of NOMENSNO.

10. I met him in a record store here in BC when I was fourteen or fifteen. I worked up enough courage to walk up to him and I told him "You're one of my favourite bassists, I'm learning all of your lines." and he replied. "So"

The other time we "met" was at a show. There was a low stage and I ended up getting knocked over into his area. There was a dogpile on me so I couldn't really move and I guess my head was in his way, or on something of his. So, very politely, with his boot lightly pushed my head out of his way, winked, and carried on. Awesome.

I teach my students his basslines, and songs. They're still hard to play almost twenty years later, and I still love them like it's the first time I heard them.

11. basey

basey

Jul 31, 2005
    Moline, Illinois
    Mr. Wright is one of my favorite bassists. I remember reading an interview in Maximum R&R that he writes most of his bass lines on the piano, but that was like 500 years ago so maybe not anymore.

12. Two songs that spring to mind:

"Big Dick" and "Long Days".

For those of you that haven't had the chance - check them out.

One of my favorite bands ever.