Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Robben Ford: Keep on running (2003)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by funkyherbivore, Jun 6, 2004.

1. So, this was a cover album from Robben Ford and to my best knowledge, his first one. I must say - even under pain of physical punishment :D - that it was the best cover album ever made.

So, eh, here comes the mandatory bass-related part: I loved Jimmy Earl's work on the record. He wasn't only grooving, he was on fire! If there's one song everyone should check out, it's the O'Jays cover "For the love of money". It's a mix of the classic bassline, Ford's angelic vocals and excellent guitar playing, and the rest of the band grooving in a more relaxed and laid-back interpretation.

What did you think about the record?

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Robben Ford is one of my favorite guitar players. There's just something so lyrical about his playing. He can mix traditional Blues/Rock playing, with deeper melodies and more Fusion-oriented playing. I would love to hear him get together with Allan Holdsworth. That would be some excellent guitar playing.

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I'm a big Robben Ford fan and have seen him live 3 times. I haven't heard this cover album...must go get it. I've never been a fan of his vox but he is hands down one of my favorite guitarists. I love his Tiger Walk CD, even with that horrible 80's hair metal looking cover.

4. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Don't forget Jing Chi with him and Jimmy Haslip, and that drummer dude from the Police...you know...Stewart Copeland. :D Mr. I can play in any time signature with my eyes closed. lol