1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Robbie Merrill of Godsmack

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lammchop93, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY

Anybody know a good way to get a tone like his when he starts playing towards the end of the video?:confused:

What do you guys think of him as a bassist?

I think he is an outstanding player, especially in a metal band, and actually not playing rote notes! He's one of the better metal bassists out there IMHO.:bassist:

2. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Get some SWR 12-stacks/packs for speakers and an SWR IOD. I'm a big Godsmack fan, and he seems like a very cool, down to earth guy.

3. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Get a Spector Euro 4 LX and downtune it. I have two. They sound really good downtuned.

4. Your41Plague12

Your41Plague12

Oct 30, 2007
    I agree, most of it comes from the bass. I also have a Spector Euro, and they sound incredible when downtuned. Especially if you have newer strings on it.

5. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I think he posts here sometimes...? Maybe he'll answer your questions.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Love GodSmack. I brought my son to see them (his 1st concert) a few years ago, he's 11 now.

Recorded and live, Robbie has great tone, with his Spector and Ibanez basses.

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Spector + SWR = Moster Tone!

8. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Do you run your pickup volumes all the way up?
    I don't because that Tone Pump has such a crazy hot signal. I usually keep mine around half or less.
    Also, do you run both pickups even or do you have one turned up more than the other.
    I'm just curious what other Euro 4 LX players do.

9. TheHegemon

TheHegemon

Feb 20, 2009
    Amarillo, TX
    Good bassist, been a Godsmack fan for a while now. If you've never seen their live show definitely check them out, alot of energy. They give a great performance.

10. Sliza

Sliza

Feb 7, 2009
    Which type of Ibanez basses does Robbie play? What's he playing on the Changes DVD most of the time (Ibenez or Spector)?

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    The last 2 records (IV and The Oracle) is pretty much just straight Spector Euro's in drop C or drop D. He switched to G-K amps during the recording of The Oracle but in the behind the scenes/making of DVD he still has some SWR gear in there.

Basically plug a Spector into an Interstellar OD preamp and you're there.

I like Godsmack and Robbie is an extremely tasteful player for what they do. And each record has better and better tone. :bassist:

12. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    The thing about Spectors is that you only need a Spector to get that tone. A Spector will pretty much sound like a Spector in just about any amp; just set the amp flat and let the the Spector tone crush you.

13. Sliza

Sliza

Feb 7, 2009
    Would a Spector Legend 4 Custom do the job, too? :bag:

14. Sliza

Sliza

Feb 7, 2009
    Oh, one more thing. Does anyone know what brand of strings Robbie uses and what gauge they are?

15. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I know for a fact that he uses Aurora Strings. He just switched to this brand not to long ago. It was either right before, or during the recording of The Oracle. I'm pretty sure he uses the Medium gauge strings. .45-.105

16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    He used to use D'Addario stainless .105s, but I think he uses Prisms now?

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Ahh that's it, I was thinking of Optima but its Aurora.

18. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    It's funny that I came across this thread because I was driving down the road last night when a Godsmack song came on and I immediately cringed because I can't stand them. However, I then began to think about their bassist and how creative some of his lines are yet they're tasteful and he doesn't overplay. I think he's the best thing going for that band. I did see them live at Ozzfest in San Antonio back in '99 when they were starting to get popular and thought that they put on a really high energy show but I went home and listened to some of their music and couldn't get into it and never have been able to.

Does anyone know if their bassist has any side projects or other bands that I might like?

19. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    According to Robbie he used to be in a lot of cover stuff, ranging from country to Top 40 to pop, etc..

I dunno if he has anything on the side currently tho. He's a much more capable bassist than he gets to show in G-S, btw.

20. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    I don't doubt that at all.