1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RobBottom with The Upstarts @ Abbey Tavern in SF 1/6/18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by RobBottom69, Jan 9, 2018.

1. RobBottom69

RobBottom69

Aug 2, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    Haven't had a chance to do one of these for awhile. We haven't played out much lately. With a new job downtown I haven't been pursuing other endeavors, except for the odd crappy audition here and there. Seems like your typical small hole in the wall corner Irish Sports Bar. The crowd was light but the people that were there liked us, and so did the bartender. Hopefully we'll get a return gig.

Sorry, no food, but we got PAID, lol. That's a nice switch.

04 abbey tavern.

04 abbey tavern.

03 abbey tavern.

Here we are getting down to business...

01 Abbey tavern.

Working the usual, Mesa D-800, SWR 4x10, Alembic Essence.

02 abbey tavern. 05 abbey tavern.

Here's a few sound clips with my cheapo recorder.

Here's me doing How Sweet It Is, the Jerry Garcia Band's arrangement, which made one Deadhead there very happy

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    nixdad, Oddly, Renaissance and 11 others like this.
  2. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Nice stuff Rob! I enjoyed all the tunes. How Sweet It Is made this Deadhead happy too. :thumbsup:

nixdad and dbase like this.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hey Mr. Bottom,

It's good to see you out kicking up your heels. Your guitarist must be a real shredder. He's just a blur! ;)

That place looks like it's got some atmosphere. Maybe next time there will be a bigger crowd. Thanks for the pix! (I'll have to listen to your tunes when I'm back at my computer.)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

nixdad, McG and dbase like this.
  4. RobBottom69

RobBottom69

Aug 2, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    Then you might like this other one that I do.

nixdad, McG and dbase like this.
  5. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I always enjoy a Dylan tune. Yep, I liked it. Thanks :thumbsup:

nixdad likes this.
  6. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Very nice gig, thanks for sharing. I was chaperoning middle school aged girl up to Mickey Hart's house in Marin. She was interviewing him for TV show on KTEH. I thought doing a chaperone thing would be a cushy gig. The deadheads at work were all jealous, and angry of my view not being a big deal.

I'm not a deadhead, and the only song I know at the time (and probably still today) was Truck'n. Anyway, I had to ride up in the KTEH van with the TV and sound engineer plus the gear. Those two dudes were deadheads to the max. They played a cassette tape of the GD, and asked me what did I think about the first three songs so far. I told that I thought they were still playing the first song (totally serious because I actually did believe it).

They were not happy with me at all and gave me the cold shoulder treatment the rest of the way up to the house.

It was right there when I realized we should have played more GD tunes in my old band than just Truck'n. GD fans must be so zoned that it all sounds good regardless of the mistakes my mediocreship provides.

Maybe we should form a GD tribute band... call it something like Gratefully Alive. :thumbsup:

nixdad, RobBottom69 and Oddly like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

fun to see and hear! thanks for sharing your gig. nice job all the way around! :thumbsup:

nixdad likes this.