Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Robelli 6-string for cheap! fairly decent quality too!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Aug 5, 2002.

1. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    I just bought a Robelli 6-string bass at Sam Ash today for $360.00! I know that sounds cheap and you're thinking it sucks...well it doesn't suck at all actually. I think I got a great deal on it. It has a flame top (wouldn't be surprised if it was painted on though! heh) with sort of an orange tint to it, gold hardware, passive AND active pickups (which i didn't know until the guy told me he just changed the battery on it last night), and the cavity is painted with shielding and the cover has silver shielding on it too. The B-string is floppy, naturally, and the tone is actually quite decent, although it doesn't compare AT ALL to my Warwick Infinity LTD 2000 4-string (how could it with a $3,700 difference??). I bought this to mess around on and I think it was a good investment! Looks beautiful, sounds decent, play decent, sells dirt cheap!!!
    Peace!
    Chris

::Waiting patiently for "Portrait Of Jaco" to be released!!::

2. Yeah, I've seen these things in the Sam Ash ads in Bass Player and on their site. Lead dude in my rock trio would like to see me try an 8-string, so I guess that the Robelli would be my option for $389 + s&h.

3. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    I bought one of these about a year ago, and for 250 dollars, is well worth the price. I'll admit, it does have seem to have a "thinner" tone than some of the other basses I've played, but its nothing a well eq-ed amp can't fix. I purchased mine to dabble in the world of the sixer, and have been turned into a believer. The only problem with mine is with the active pickups or preamp, or whatever it has, the minute I dig into the strings (in active) I get clearly audible distortion (yes, I've changed the battery). Does yours have the same problem? I only play in passive, so I don't mind. Other than that I think this bass is great! :)

4. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    Nitehawk,
    I haven't really gotten to play out with this 6er yet, but i did notice in practicing that the pickup selection knob (the one in line with the active/passive volume knob) makes a very loud crackling noise when turned. This isn't so much of a problem as long as I set it before playing. I'm sure I can fix it somehow.
    i did notice a slight distortion with the active in the headphones, but im not sure if that was just the phones or the bass!
    peace!
    chris

5. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    Ah yes, its unfortunate that the active isn't that good on all of them (or the two that I know of). I had a local tech quote me about 400 bucks for a new pair of active EMGs, thats labor and all. Needless to say, I wasn't interested spending about 150% of what I bought the bass for on pickups. Maybe, thats just me though. I too, have not had a chance to play live with mine (we kicked out our drummer in October), but a recent recording my friend and I made sounded great with the bass on passive.