Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Robelli fretless side dots have moved!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eli, Apr 2, 2002.

1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I posted a while ago about the Robelli fretless basses at sCam cAsh having the dots at the in-between position as though the basses had frets.

Well, they have reissued that model (the black one with the soapbar PU's, model SSBFL) with the dots AT the fret positions! And, there's a new model USB590 with PJ pickups (the one I saw was candy apple red) that also has the dots at the fret positions!

Cool to see these guys responding to market pressure. I have to insist that the in-between position is WORSE than no dots at all on a fretless. I can now recommend these basses without reservation as a reasonable choice for a first-time fretless player who wants to see if he can hack it without blowing the bank. I will say that the electronics aren't all that great, kinda thin-sounding. But, hey, you don't buy a fretless for massive bottom, so I think they are OK for the bucks -- the older model with soapbar PU's is $250, and the PJ one is only $189!

2. Hi ELi,

Hey, do you have any observation on other Robelli´s basses? I would like to know why specifically are they so cheap, but never tried nor seen one in a store..

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    First, Robelli is a Sam Ash house brand, so you won't see them anywhere else.

As far as quality, I hear (at this website and others) that the quality control is hit or miss -- you can't be really sure that one in an unopened box is all working properly, so you pretty much need to plug in and mess with the one you're going to take home, to make sure all the knobs work, etc. This is consistent with the low price -- for this kind of money, a manufacturer can't afford to spend much time with each individual instrument.

The sound is also not all that great -- they have the typical Asian low-cost mass-produced thin-sounding pickups, honky and not a lot of bottom.

All of this having been said, they still seem to be a surprisingly good value FOR THE MONEY -- even the 6-string bass is only like $350 or so. I was also surprised by the acoustic tone of their acoustic 4-string bass guitar -- louder and deeper than a lot of other more expensive ones I've played, though I have yet to plug one of the Robellis in to hear its electronics. If you spend a few hundred more, you can get better-sounding basses; but I remain impressed by how much they manage to cram in for the price.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Surprise surprise. I think I said that's the deal.