1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Robert "Bubby" Lewis with Snoop Dogg

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stingray5, Apr 22, 2009.

1. wow! and what an insightful 'fly on the wall' video, too.

Quantized Harmonic and Tupac like this.
  2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    absolutely hilarious. if you post a video of him jamming at namm on some note'y joint, you get pages of shttalking. post a clip of some serious groove and nada. :D

i dig it:bassist: i also still have doggystyle in the rotation though:bag:

3. rezin

rezin

Sep 26, 2006
    Madison, WI
    very cool video, i love stuff like that.

i'd like to see this other thread that narud mentioned if anyone has a link

4. LOL...

5. I've been checkin out some Snoop since seeing these videos and I'm diggin it!

As for Bubby - I think he's great. Who doesn't wank at namm? :bag:

I just really dig the video - Tony Levin just did something similar where he has a bass cam recording him while he's on stage with Peter Gabriel.

I like this one better though because it's more intimate. really feels like you're there in the middle of a pro rehearsal..

6. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    Here's a question I have about this video...anyone know what kind of strings Bubby uses?

7. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    After watching the GC bass sessionz dvd I'm pretty sure he's using nylon tapewounds. He endorses LaBella so it makes sense. I love Bubby's playing.

8. BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    Awesome. I've been thinking of LaBella Deep Talkin' rounds for my MTD. I tried nylon tapewounds once, but had huge hum problems with my jazz bass. sort of scared me away from tapewounds altogether.

9. BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    Oh, at the end of Gospel Chop's Bass Sessionz Vol 1, Bubby mentions LaBella.

I should have been paying more attention.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Bubby is a fierce young man!:D I am copying a clip that shows him doing a great job holding basically aone note groove for about two minutes. I think rocking a one note groove is one of the hardest things to really do well:

11. BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    That's one of my favorite clips. Makes me extremely jealous that I spend my days in a cube rather than a warehouse rehearsal space... :D

12. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    Great find!
    FWIW those are not tapewounds... Probably Deep Talkin' rounds.

I looked at the other videos from that rehearsal and I really dug how loose they all seem. Snoop must be a cool boss. Love that MTD too! and I usually don't go for sixers...

+1 Cheese on the one noter. Every band should work on that as an exercise and record it.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Off topic:

To me, the ultimate one note groove the Kalimba Song by Earth Wind and Fire. Verdine White made that one of the stankiest grooves ever!:D

James Brown's Payback is more than one note, but it is super minimal but so aggressive and funky!

To me, the fact that Bubby can shred like Tom Kennedy (an early influence of his) but hold it down like Verdine makes him a phenom in my book.:bassist:

14. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Uh, 95% sure they're tapewounds man. Don't know where you heard it for certain that they aren't...

15. Intenzity

Intenzity

Oct 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    check out the dude's meat eating frog. He feeds it a "pinkie"....a little baby mouse. Chomp. All gone. Its freaky.