Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Robert DeLeo and STP

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JDBJJJP, Aug 11, 2000.

1. JDBJJJP

JDBJJJP

Mar 3, 2000
    I have always liked Stone Temple Pilots. To me they where one of those bands. You like their stuff but you never A. get around to or B. have the dough to buy their stuff. Well i bit the bullet and got No.4, It is a great album. Once i had that i had to investigate further. I now have Core and Purple(i am missing only Tiny music). I love Robert DeLeo playing. He does not overplay in the slightest. He mostly follows the guitar then when you least expect it(but when it is perfect) he tosses out the greatest licks. I love the decending lick he plays in "creep" from core. This guy is a serious player!! I keep hearing that he is also an acoplished guitar player and that he writes with other artist? anyone know anything about this.

2. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Robert Delio is a great player if you get a chance on Direct TV or PPV they played a show at the LA House of Blues and filmed it. The whole band is a groove machine and Scott Wielan (not sure of spelling) was at the top of his game (clean & sober) I have seen them twice and they were never better than now so if want to see a true Rock&Roll band these are the cats. I believe that Robert writes a lot of the STP stuff also, his sound live is incredible, and how about that Shecter bass it sure sounded great live.

[Edited by Funkster on 08-11-2000 at 07:09 AM]

3. Chop

Chop

Dec 12, 1999
    My bass inspiration doesn't come from many rock bassists, but De Leo is one that I would site as inspirational. His style seems to be pretty funk inspired--which is probably why I dig his playing. An intelligent player. His stuff on 12 Gracious Melodies is good.

What is the new album like stylist-ically. Is the single 'Sour Girl' a good representation?

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sourgirl NOT good representation! Ive never heard another song by them like that.

Anyway, Rob DeLeo is incredible. Hes actually 99% DOESNT follow the guitar. Great player. GREAT. The way he writes the lines arent with "advanced knowledge in theory", but feel. Which he has TONS of. Hes awesome. "Tripping on a Hole in a Paper Heart" is a really good representative of his abilities. Never overplaying, but never underplaying. Its beautiful. He IS one of the most underrated bassists around.

5. i like sour girl!

i don't have any STP albums but i remember that one song from tiny music called "lady picture show" what a good song.

6. JDBJJJP

JDBJJJP

Mar 3, 2000
    I think that he does often follow the guitar lines Angus, if you listen to their albums closely you'll notice that he plays a lot of roots out lining the chords and where there is a main guitar riff he plays it. On songs like Interstate love song, creep, sex & violence he does that. I mean no disrespect. I think that style if great it shows a ton of control. Sometimes when i play rock I find myself going off on my own thing and it hurts the groove. Robert DeLeo to me is a classic example of great rock bass.