Robert DeLeo of STP

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Nick man, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    This is my favorite bassist, and I was wondering what others thought about him.

Thats all.

2. I like him a hell of a lot. Thats basically all I have to say.
  3. He's great.

I love 'Tripping On A Hole (In A Paper Heart). Great song and fine bass - he makes the song climax so many times.

Did you know both brothers in STP apparantely don't own (or use, I forget which) a guitar newer than a 1970 or something?

John Faulding.
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I personally find the "nu rock" crop of players boring as hell, but this guy I like! He knows what really playing bass is all about and how to drive a band with a great tone. Really adds some weight into their sound. Good songwriter, too.

On a more superficial note, I always liked his Lounge Lizard look at a time when everybody was into candy-ass Gavin Rossdale/Kurt Cobain wannabe-ism.

...but, you're invariably going to get somebody bashin' him because he doesn't play a million notes a second.
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    great rock bass player. he's modern and classic at the same time. like the band and like a lot his style.
  6. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Long time STP fan, mostly because of Rob.
  7. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    How can play his signature bass with his name on it and have it be pre-1970's if its brand new from Schecter. I'd like to hear this explanation. :D

Edit: incorrect word usage(not foul)
  8. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Schecters Model T bass:Robert DeLeo's signature bass
  9. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I have always been a fan of STP since day one, I think they are one of the greatest rock bands of my generation. It wasn't until later that I began to appreciate DeLeo more for what he brought to he band. He's always got tasty tone to spare, and he's one hell of a good rock player.
  10. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Underrated band. Underrated bass player. I like them both. A lot...
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I hate categorizing music, but I think you mean grunge rather than nu metal. I just mention that because Id hate for a band this good to be thrown in with so many other not very musical bands, wich often just crank a couple mesa boogies add a PRS and find a guy willing to play a big guitar with 5 strings. I dont think they fit into the grunge category that well, but thats where most people put them so Ill assume thats what you meant.

Oh and BTW, while he may not play a million notes per minute, I doubt even Jaco did, Rob has been known to put quite a few hundred thousand per minute in to great rockin good rock songs. I believe Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart is a good example although Im sure there are better.

One of personally favorite things about his style is that he has one. Few rock bassist these days do. Oh and that he knows how to tear things up when the time comes, but just keeps it simple when it should be.

12. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    One of my favorite rock bassist of the last decade. STP's music has a lot of interesting rythmic things going on to boot. Try one of their songs. They are harder to play than they sound.

I just hope Scott gets his act together. I know he says he's clean, but when I see him I just have trouble believeing it. :(
  13. Definitely one of the top three bassists of the nineties...i just love his style, feel and note choice.
  14. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    You mean stuff like Creed, 3 Doors Down, Nickleback, etc.? That's the kind of stuff I was talking about. STP is way better than that stuff.
  15. John bro!!!!!

Great to see you found the site.
    YEah i think its just the guitarist that uses pre 1970 guitars, cos Robert uses and plays his signature.

For those who want to know, Plantetelex was a founding member of my band Drifter, is currently at university in another city, but is doing big things in kiwi music!!

Hey John, if Drifter is still together when you finish, we have a place waiting for you to take up again!!
    We need your tasteful licks back cos they add such a great dimension to our musiuc, and I can only imagine what our new songs would sound like if you had a hand in writing them.

Peace out man,
    Give me a call and we will get drunk this week!
  16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Well not just that, but yeah. I was also talking about Disturbed and Linkin Park and bands with a more metal image I guess. Thats what I thought nu metal was.

STP is much more musical. While it might not be extremely complex, it is very though out and has a great feeling of soul put into it. It is very alive and driving. It takes a tremendous amount of talent to create the music they put out. Its not just talent though, after all, thats what Britney Spears has working backstage writting her next hit, It takes passion and soul. I think its the really human aspect of their music that has kept them around and still rockin.

Sorry if this came across as trashing bands, but I was just trying to point out that IMO STP has another dimension to their music which gives it a more musical sound.

BTW Dean DeLeo (the guitarist) often plays Les Pual Juniors. They have single coil P-90 pickups which sound like heaven (for guitar of course). I turned my girlfriend (and guitarist) on to them, and shes saving for one.

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I saw a rerun of SNL today where they played Creep.

I only caught the very end, so I basically missed out on the performance. Its not the first time either.

I had a chance to see them a couple of years ago at Miami's Zetafest which is hosted by the local Rock station (if thats what you wanna call it). Well anyways, the Deftones went on right before them, and my 4'11" friend Amanda (who I came there with) got kinda beat up in the pit so out of courtesy, we left early since she felt pretty miserable. She can usualy take the pit too. The Deftones stpped playing 3 or 4 times because they saw how poorly the girls were being treated. Another friend I came with, (also 4'11" at the time), was pulled out of the pit by the Deftones lead singer when she nearly got trampled.

I was in the pit barefoot!:cool:

Well anyways we left early and missed one of the best bands of our time.

Another time, after buying tickets for the Family Values tour ($65!!!) I ran into some major dificulties getting there, and problems with my girlfriend pushed me to decide that I could see them next time, and not to go crazy to find a ride. The dude that was supposed to take the tickets to sell at the concert didnt even take them, so I lost the money and every thing.

PS:I was only going for STP

18. chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    well first of all a lot of those bands should be decategorized mark tremonti is a great guitar player and creed period has awesome musicians same as disturbed but stp is consider rock period sorta like oh def leppard, led zeppelin, black sabbath, foghat, the who, the beatles by the way the tone is great of the robert deleo that is and i agree the best bassist arent the most complicated bassists
  19. Arguably the best band that came out of the so called "grunge" era...they shouldn't be lumped into the grunge catergory though.
    STP is one of those rare bands that can make me want to jump in the pit with songs like "Sex Type Thing" and "Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart", then come up with beautiful songs in "Lady Picture Show" and "Sour Girl".
    The whole lineup of the DeLeo Brothers, Kretz and Weiland have an amazing chemistry that comes out in almost any style they utilize. I too hope that Weiland learns from other singers of his era and really does kick the dragon and concentrate on being a good father and husband.
  20. Great bassist!

I saw STP a few years ago when they opened for RHCP and he was/is awesome! Really playing it up for the audience,getting down close to the front row and interacting with everyone.Some killer basslines in their songs too.If you ever get the chance to see STP in concert go for it;the band is great and the bass player more so. :) much as I hate to admit it STP did put on a better show than my rock heros RHCP did. :(
    (still be luvin` `em though!). *sigh*