Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ROBERT DELEO

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 17, 2002.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Any Robert fans out their he was the one who got me started on the whole T BASS thing. I think he is a great player and some of STP best songs he wrote. Can any one describe his style and sound because i think he is a melodic bassed player. When i started listining to Robert i found out playing with a pick keeps you limited:)

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    great bass player and one of the most significant in modern rock scene. he's influensed by motown and you can hear that!!

i love his skills both in composing song and basslines. a great musician and a great influence on me too.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Definetly my biggest influence.

I think he is definetly the most talented bassist in popular rock right now. His motown inspied basslines keep all of STP's heavy rockin songs grooving the whole way thruogh. He is also pretty funky IMO.

I try to bring out his influence in me with all of my bands material.

Its incredible how you can hear the incredible amounts of influence from Jammerson and John Paul Jones in his playing. It was actually through listening to STP that I became interested in Led Zeppelin.

One hell of a bassist and songwriter thats for sure.

Peace
    Nick

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Love his playing. One of the best rock bassist to come out in the last decade IMHO. The John Paul Johns of this era I would say. Everytime I hear his playing on Interstate Love Song I'm blown away by his ability to groove.

Also love his tone, when I usually despise most rock bass players tone.

5. He is definitely the most underappreciated rock bassist of the 90's. Great groove, great tone, loads of funk. THUMBS UP!

6. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Ditto

Doc

7. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The best description of his bass playing I ever heard:

"He plays just the right amount of bass, never too much and never too little."

This is very true. I like to think about what he would do when writing a bassline. His playing differs so much from song to song. On CORE, he mixes some of the easiest 2 chord bass lines with some complicated runs that scare the hell out of me. He plays soul one minute, then punk, then funk, then metal... He's SWEET! And his tone, always good for the moment (I guess because I've never seen him play the same bass twice).

He's a great and under rated player.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I enjoy his playing as well. He's sort of an outside the norm influence for me.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    He's very notey without getting in the way. "Big Empty" is beautiful, and "Trippin' On a Hole in a Paper Heart" is one of my favorite basslines (as well as guitar solos. Great bassist, his brother's a great guitarist, yet I can't stand at least 80% of the music STP puts out.

10. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    interstate love song has some cool lines in it too.

11. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Don't forget that he writes 50% of the music!
    He's is one of the best to come around in a longtime. Hec I'm 39 and playing since 76, he's been a big influence to me since 1990!

12. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I would have him in the top 3 of my most inspiring bassist list:cool:

13. Robert's definitely one of my faves! He really knows how to groove.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Oh my GOD!

Im listening to it (Trippin) again and it still makes me orgasm after all these years!

My band is covering that song whether they want to or not, Im playing that at our next show!

What a killer groove!

Peace
    Nick

15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    You need a girlfriend!

:D :D ;)

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its been like 3 months since Ive gotten any action, I think thats a good enough excuse!

Peace
    Nick

17. I love this guy`s playing.

Not only is he a superior bassist but he is also a great showman.He really plays up to the audience,lots of interaction.I saw STP open for RHCP a few years ago and he was just too cool....