1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Robert Plant 29 Palms....or is it Parms?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Ritchie_Darling, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Ritchie_Darling

Ritchie_Darling Bass @ AZ Supporting Member

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Impulse buyer...
    Ever since the first time I heard this song, it sounds like he says "parms" instead of "palms"....

Is it just me? Or is it a weird recording?

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    It's 29 Palms---probably a reference to the radio station near the Marine Corp. base located there.

There are part's of the song where it does sound like "parms", but I doubt that he's singing about Italian food.......:roflmao:

Chalk it up to his Midlands accent.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  3. Ritchie_Darling

Ritchie_Darling Bass @ AZ Supporting Member

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Impulse buyer...
    Oh yes, I am familiar with the area. :)

I guess it's something that has always bothered me about the song....

4. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I think the way the backing vocals come in a little late blurs the phonics a bit, but there's also the idiosyncrasy of British pronunciation, adding an 'r' sound after a long 'a', just like McCartney did on the Beatles' cover of "Till There Was You", where he sings 'saw' as 'soar'...

29 is just down the road from me, and Plant's been up in this area quite a bit(there's all this Gram Parsons history); at the notable local venue Pappy and Harriet's, he sang with the Sunday night jam band headed up by singer/songwriter Victoria Williams a while ago...

The place is a true desert roadhouse. Oh, and speaking of Macca, he showed up there once as well...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  5. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    I have always pronounced Palms as Parms , I always thought they were supposed to be pronounced the same and have always heard others pronounce the 2 words the same merely the spelling that is difference to show that they are different things, I am british for what its worth