1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Robert Plant Loves "Spook Music"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  2. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    I have never heard the term, nor did I know it was in any way offensive.

I think America as a country need to remember that not everybody have a complete knowledge of their history, and as such they are not going to know whether a word is considered offensive because it was used for whatever purpose back in the day.

I read the article, and I still don't know what he did wrong. Is the term "Spook Music" some sort of insult or racial slur? Im assuming from the context he used it in that it applies to early african-american bluesy type music from which Zepplin drew much of their influence?

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Wow. That's incredible... :rollno:

4. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    Yeah, its kinda a code word, like Abo.

5. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    It does sound bad... I'm hoping that maybe being from Britain he never knew that the word had such derogatory connotations. It's hard for me to believe that he would say something like that otherwise. :(

Our youth as a country and our contentious history makes us very sensitive about certain things.
    Also, I think the implication is that he stole liberally from black American culture, but didn't bother to learn anything deeper.
    Although, I think this particular term is from the 40's/50's, so maybe it's not surprising that Plant never knew how it was used in the past...

6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Simo98, my above post was added about the same time as yours. My response was to the article itself, not to your post.

Yes, "spook" is considered a derogatory term here in the U.S. I realize that not everybody is from the U.S., and doesn't understand all of the nuances of our culture. But because Robert Plant's music HAS been so heavily influenced by the blues; and because he must have worked with a lot of black musicians over the years, I'm very surprised that he wouldn't realize it was a derogatory term.

7. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I always thought that word implied CIA agents and ghosts. I've never considered it racist but I'm sure there is some history to it and racial undertones that I'm ignorant of. That said there are bigger and badder things out there to be offended by.

8. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    It probably wasn't brought up much. Im guessing if he ever used it around any black musicians that they either didn't care, or simply figured that they would ignore it because they figured he didn't realise it was offensive.

Now im going to have to look the term up. I hate being ignorant :D:D

Edit- Ah, so "Spook Music" is not a slur, but "Spook" on its own. Apparently something to do with people with darker skin being difficult to see in the dark. Its funny, because I know quite a few Aboriginal Australians who often joke about being able to sneak up on people at night. Interesting how something can be considered offensive somewhere, and be a joke elsewhere.

9. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    To true,...as I alluded to in my first post (and this is not directed at the Doc) I think people are too eager to be offended and just waiting for someone to eff up so they can cause a scene. As Carlin says,...they are just words,...it's all about context and whether or not you choose to be offended.

10. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Exactly!

I mean, sometimes I can see why people get offended, but this particular article (in my opinion) just looks like it was a slow news day and they needed a celebrity scandal to pad things out a little bit.

11. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I have never heard the term "spook music" in my life. I suspect a lot of other people have never heard of it, either.

12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Heh, I knew that one was offensive(spook, not spook music), but only because I've seen The Human Stain...... maybe someone should pass Plant a copy of it........

13. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    FWIW the only Roots articles I've read are ones posted by the Doc but as far as that goes I have a hard discerning a difference between articles the Roots posts and any other mass media. Play up wedge issues that seek to factionalize us and distract attention from real issues.

Do I think Plant is a bigot? No. A little tactless,...yeah,...he could have chosen his words a little better.

14. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Sane here. I know that term goes back a long way, but Plant isn't exactly a spring chicken.

15. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    :scowl: Another credit to the concept of tact...

16. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    YAY!!! ANOTHER RACE THREAD BY DR. CHEESE!!!

17. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    This means then that Robert Plant would use this term to describe my favorite music, that of the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

18. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    Racial slurs just pass right by me these days. I still hear various ones so much, that they're just like swear words, I don't even pay attention anymore.

It's not the words I worry about, it's the racist person using them.

Seriously, though?

19. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Carlin was a genius.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I thought he meant, like, Ghostbusters.