Robert Randolph and Santana!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blueszilla, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I went to the Santana/Robert Randolph show last night at the local outoor venue, and I must say it rocked!

RR & TFB sounded very good, (the bass was quite trebly) and their songs were 8-12 minutes long. I've been to this venue (Journal Pavilion) several times and this was by far the loudest I've heard the music.

Santanas band was as tight as ever and sounded great. Benny was playing a red bass with a white pickguard, but I was pretty far away and couldn't really tell what it was. The bass was difficult to hear, even though the whole band was quite loud. I could hear almost everything else (tons of kick drum) clearly.

Towards the end Carlos gave his regular speech on tolerance, but he seemed to anger a significant portion of the crowd by saying that the white 'folks' in the audience might be celebrate the upcoming Columbus day, but Native Americans, like himself, were noting 400 years of subjugation since Columbus' arrival. He then dedicated a song that he wrote to all the Native Americans in the crowd. It was a song I hadn't heard before, started with kind of distinctive drumming and ended with a heavy rock vibe, pretty cool all around. Kind of odd how it divided the crowd a bit, when his messages have always been about coming together, tolerance and treating each other well.

Oh well, it was a good concert anyway...