Robert Randolph and the Family Band

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by allthings, Apr 28, 2005.

1. allthings

Mar 22, 2005
    Has anyone bought a CD by this band? I've heard one song on contemporary Christian radio and the bass blows me away. They said this band is opening for Dave Matthews band in the future. Anyone familiar?
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Im pretty familiar with most of their stuff, allthough the only CD I own is Live at the Wetlands. His cousin Danyel plays bass for them as is awesome as well. Most of their stuff is very good.

If your into the more gospel side of his work, you might also check out a project called The Word, which is Robert Randolph, John Medeski on keys, and the North Mississippi All Stars as the backing band.
  3. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've seen them live a few time. The bass player is great, but it is his singing that I love. He sings falsetto. If you saw him (fairly big guy) you wouldn't expect such sweet, high pitched vocals.
  4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Great bass player, great band, it's what Christian Music should be, gosh it's what music should be. Innovative, Creative, full of Energy Great Stuff!!!! I've seen them of the late shows twice they actually look like there having fun! Check out Unclassified, great Album.
  5. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    One night a couple of years ago I did a sub gig with a band called AL James and Spare Change at the Stanhope House in NJ. This room is a very small legendary blues joint here that all the greats have played at, so I jumped at the chance to sub for the night. When we got there, the band that OPENED for us was Robert Randolph and the Family Band. They were just incredible, and Danyell is a MONSTER bassist, and a genuinely nice guy. This was a month before they were signed. It was a humbling and inspiring experience all wrapped into one.

Two years later, I took my family on vacation to Disney World. We went to the House of Blues at Downtown Disney, and they were there. An incredible show. They call thier style of music "sacred steel." I call it great. It's a combination of blues, country, gospel, and metal all wrapped into an unbelievable package. They are hands downs the best live band you will ever experience.
  6. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
  7. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    fwiw, RR&FB is not Christian music......I've seen 'em several times live. They might have that "preachy" vibe, but Christian music they are not.

They are amazing musicians but everything they play sounds too much alike IMO.
  8. Junior, as far as I know, they started as a straight up gospel band and have recently recorded another gospel album (whether or not it gets released is another story).
  9. Unclassified is a great disc, very groovin'. I actually picked it up at Lifeway Christian Stores after I saw them on Leno about a year or so ago. I bet those guys put on a great show.
  10. Unclassified: good tunes, lousy production.

The band sounded like they were recorded in an empty water tank.

Like most studio albums by acts known for their live shows, the disc doesn't even show half of the energy they're capable of generating.

They've appeared twice on Austin City Limits; seek out a rerun and marvel.
  11. I actually really like the production on that album