Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Robert Randolph anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TSanders, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Got the Robert Randolph and the Family Band CD a while back and have been meaning to post this thread for a while. This guy blew my mind. Flat out rips the steel guitar to peices.

Also was watching the new DMB band DVD "Weekend at the Rocks", and Randolph sits in for a tune. Just kills.

Wondering if anyone else digs Robert Randolph, and hoping that if you havent heard him, youll check him out.

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Robert IS THE MAN!!!

I'm a huge fan of Robert and The Family Band. Those guys are awesome. Almost met Robert when they did Clapton's Crossroads music festival here in Dallas a couple of years back. If you haven't seen them on the DVD it's a good watch.

AMAZING live show. Entire band is very well qualified to back his astounding pedal playing in my book!

3. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Yeah, Robert and his band are awesome. I'm not generally into the jam band scene but I've seen them twice and they tore it up both times. I think the bass player is Robert's cousin. I can't remember his name but he's a great player and does some vocals too.

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Danyel Morgan is his name, and he is indeed Robert's cousin. His falsetto just kills me everytime. He's such a big, muscular guy to be singing that high hehe.

5. I have never heard Robert Randolph, but I have been very aware of him for several years since I play steel guitar. He gets a lot of attention over on the Steel Guitar Forum, but then anybody under the age of 50 who plays steel guitar is a rarity. We thought we were a vanishing breed, but Randolph may revive the instrument. He plays a Fessenden right now, but all the bigger builders would love to have him play one of theirs.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Excellent band. They're a ton of fun to listen to.

7. true...the guy is like 6'7 and sings falsetto...

RR plays the steel guitar like jimi hendrix if you ask me...i love it!

8. yep, a sweet band.

9. etb67

etb67 Far Out Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Ohio
    I saw them live in a med sized venue. They were incredible! At one point in the show, everyone exchanged instruments. Robert held his own on bass, guitar, drums, and keyboards. and so did everyone else in the band. The next day I went out and bought the cds.:bassist:

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I have a couple of their CDs and enjoy them. My take is that the band plays and sounds terrific, but that the songwriting is nothing special (yet). Not that the songs are terrible, just that IMO they get over, to the extent they do, not because the songs themselves are particularly good, but because they're played with such fire and talent.

If RR and company could keep playing the way they do, but do it on a somewhat better set of songs ... man, that would be monstrous.

11. I heard Robert Randolph and the family band in Glasgow when they supported Eric Clapton. I was really wanting their set to last a lot longer. I am hoping that they will tour the U.K. in their own right. They are a unique and very tight band and well worth making a point of going to see.

I agree with the comments re Danyel Morgan, a superb player.

The drummer is Robert's brother Marcus hence the title family band.

There is also a keyboard player in the lineup but I don't know his name.

Check them out. Buy the CD!

12. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

You guys need to check out Clapton's dvd "CROSSROADS" Almost 3 hrs of top shelf blues guitarists.
    Randolph sat in on Jimmy Vaughns "Six String Down"......
    OOOH! I gots the chills watchin' this guy. He also plays one of his tunes "The March". He's up there with the Stevie Ray's and Duane Allmans................fabulous pedal steel player.:hyper:

13. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    BTW, for superbassman2000, go pick up Soulive's new CD - Breakout. RR plays on all the interlude tracks, and does an amazing cover of Crosstown Traffic with them. He plays all the vocal parts on the pedal steel.

14. I might just have to do that!

15. malicous

malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I like them too. Their performance on Clapton's Crossroads DVD is quite entertaining. The bass solo with the octaver was rather interesting. Cool effect.

16. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I dig the CD. Great stuff!

17. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Have him on the Bonnaroo 2002 dvd. :eek:
    He opened for Clapton the last time he came to Columbus. Didn't make the show, but all the reviews said Robert blew Eric off the stage! :smug:

18. His playing reminds me alot of Duane Allman's slide playing.....I have not purchased a cd yet, but one is in need.

+1 on the Clapton Crossroads Concert DVD - Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Robert is the man! His band is sick too. I really want to see them live.

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    RR is very cool! I thnk of him and the Family Band as what Sly and the Family Stone might've been like if Sly played pedal steel.

Speaking of steel guitar, a friend of mine, Marty Rifkin, is playing steel on Bruce Springsteen's current tour. Seeing as I always get Marty and his kids NAMM badges every year, I'm hoping he'll return a favor … ;)