Robert Randolph & the FAMILY BAND!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by KYJazzy, Feb 23, 2005.

1. KYJazzy

KYJazzy Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I drove into my hometown of Louisville, KY last night from Lexington to witness one of the GREATEST shows I've ever seen, Robert Randolph & the Family Band. Great music, incredible energy, and just tons of dancin' the night away! :bassist:

Who else here is a fan of Danyel Morgan? What kinda basses does he play and what's he amp up with? I didn't get a good look, I was in the front but on the right side with his keyboardist, Jason.

Gotta love the funk on "More Love" and "Squeeze." :D Talk about some talent!
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    He does use a Modulus as mentioned above and is a great bassist. I saw these guys for the first time 2 years ago at Austin City Limits Festival and it was the best show of the whole event I thought. That says a lot not having ever heard them and was most impressed with them.

The only funny part is when Danyel sings hehe. I just cant see that voice comming out of that dude, even when Im watching him do it lol.
  3. i think he used to have a mesa rig, and now peavey i am pretty sure...

i love robert randolf and the family band...they have a pretty good version of purple haze...i saw it on letterman or one of those shows...i wish they would come up to duluth!
  4. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    They are great. They were on the Grammys like a year ago. He had the Modulus Q6 and Mesa M-pulse 600 through a Peavey 4-10 cab.
  5. SubversivePinko

SubversivePinko No use for an ironic title

Feb 19, 2005
    Bellingam, WA
    Really amazing band. I checked them out after hearing they played Crossroads this year. Just flat out great lapsteel and bass work. Those of you that have Winamp 5 can check out a couple of their videos by going to ' Videos.' :bassist:
  6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, great band, and an excellent live show! A great example of clever and creative bass technique. :)
  7. Got their CD when it first came out and was very impressed. Been on the shelf for about 2 months or so and decided to pull it out again, awesome stuff. Would love to see them live.
  8. These guys are just plain groovin'! I love their stuff.

They're on the Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD and I believe he used an Eden rig.
  9. They are KILLLING man - I only have The Word - which features one of MMW (the organ guy) - but I love that band - Randolf is just an amazing guitar player...
  10. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    I think that one thing is also overlooked about their bass player, he also sings all those awesome falsetto vocal parts in songs like "More Love". What a great band coming out of dark times in music (atleast imo) :p
  11. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    Just saw them on Austin City Limits. great show. It looked like a Ken Smith bass on there but I never got a good look.
  12. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    He may only play the modulus on the road, due to enviromental factors.
  13. KYJazzy

KYJazzy Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Guess I answered my own question - on their official site they list all the gear they use! The basses I couldn't identify were Yamaha's. Never used one myself, but man did it funk me up. :bassist:

Check out that site too - pretty sweet that on the messagel board they set up a place for show trades! :D
  14. He gets a great tone out of that Yamaha! The one he uses on the Crossroads DVD has what look to be EMG's in it and it sounds like to me that he uses piezo's too. At any rate, it sounded great.
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Very Cool player... his falcetto vocals though... *eek* :D

Randolph's playing is a tad over the top for me, but it makes for a good listen every now and then. I could easily see them making a killer live act.
  16. glydebass

Dec 3, 2003
    Atlanta Ga
    You guys are so right man, they are one of the best in my cd collection. If you can get recordings of their live stuff check it out cause it blows the studio stuff right out. Ive come so close to seeing them so many times. They were opening for Eric Clapton when I saw him over the summer but the one night I go they dont open and I get stupid Jimmy Vaughn who blew something awful. But Ill be seeing them at the Allman Brothers Festival this April so its all good. Munki, where did you get the Word stuff. Ive been looking but cant find any.
  17. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

Also, here are a bunch of legal live shows of RR:
  18. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I think he played the modulus on the record, but played a yamaha when i saw them. It was really a great show. Tons of energy. I met Daniel and the drummer afterword, just for a minute, but they seemed pretty cool.

I didnt really like the tone he got out of the yamamha too much.
  19. i was there. good show. :hyper:
  20. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I saw them a bit over 2 years ago at The Basement in Sydney. Totally blew me away. If I recall correctly, Danyel was using a Modulus Q6 and a Peavey Cirrus 6 as a back up, which he ended up using.