Robert Sledge from Ben Folds Five

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Soapbox Prophet, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Does anyone else here dig him as much as me? I think he is fantastic. does anyone know what he is doing now that BFF broke up?

Christopher Murray
  2. i have no idea where he is now, but e sure was good in BFF, and actually BFF is re-releasing "Whatever and Ever Amen" with four new songs added, and i think it is going to be released on september 12th or something like that. but i know its going to be released on the same day as Ben Fold's new solo alblum. (sometime in september)
  3. I was thinking of that guy!!!!!!

Yea, why not more people talking about him?

The guy is awesome with the distorsion and effects. He's unbelievable...very cutting-edge. And he can play bigtime, as that 1st record shows.

I love his work on "One Angry Dwarf..." There is a part where Ben goes "You'll be sorry when I'm big yes you will yes you will..." Meantime Robert is working it with this fast progression of kicks *** to the nth power.

This guy has to get a band. Too much talent to be sitting around.
  4. bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    I was actually gonna start this thread up after getting Whatever and Ever Amen. He's good. By the way, they don't/didn't have a guitar player, do/did they? Ben sure can tickle the ivorys, but anyways that's a different story. :rolleyes:
  5. nah bobaweeka they dont have a guitarist at all...just drums bass piano and 3 lovely voices. I really think that he should get alot more credit....not only is he incredible but his bass sounds fantastic for playing with a pick. typically a trio of bass piano and drums would have someone playing fingerstyle, but to do all that with a pick and distortion! its crazy!
  6. The reason why I think Robert is so cool is because he can trick people like bobaweeka into believing there's a guitar player...:p

Yo, bob...THAT IS ROBERT!!! :D

Robert adds some serious distorsion on his bass to make it sound like a guitar. Amazing.

Sorry boba you got completely fooled :p

But hey I always thought those were guitar parts on New Order records and it turns out that was PETER HOOK DOING THEM ON BASS! Whoa...see we all get fooled sometime ;)
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Very talented band, and a very good bass player. What impresses me about him is how diverse his abilities are. He can swing, groove, funk it up, and rock.

He really does not receive the credit he's due.
  8. he's awesome. the thing about Ben Folds Five is that it's basically a jazz trio, but they're so much more diverse than that, and really hard to pin down. so much coolness.
  9. same thing with some of john entwistle's parts with the who, esp. 'my generation' and 'pinball wizard'. a lot of people thought the da-dun part over the acoustic strumming was townshend on electric, but it's actually the ox, the quiet one, entwistle. :)
  10. Awesome angry dwarf and 200 solemn faces is probably one of my fab basslines of all time!
  11. Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    Great songs, definitely . . . but when I think of great BFF basslines, the line from, "Uncle Walter," always comes to mind. Not that it's particularly difficult or complex, but it's very infectious and has a great tone to it.
  12. great double bass player. I also dug stuff he played electric *I think he played a les paul bass*, on songs like Army. werd..
  13. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    According to

"Robert Sledge is currently putting together a new group and producing bands in his Chapel Hill, North Carolina studio. Sledge has also been touring with ex-Squirrel Nut Zippers Tom Maxwell and his band The Minor Drag."
  14. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Well I got interested after seeing an "under-rated bass player" thread and did a search for Robert.

Well here's a few little things about him.

He is now in a band called International Orange. One of their songs is "Prince Charming" which was written by Robert when BFF was working on their unrealized 4th album (not including "Naked Baby Pictures") and can be downloaded from their offical site. It would have been the first song where he had lead vocals...

As for his setup, it changed a little bit over the years, but a good deal of his early work was done on a Hammer (can't remember the year, want to say '67). Then he switched to a Jazz Bass, then an Ephie for the later end of teh band's run.

As for his effects, a big part of it comes from none other then the American classic Electro-Harmonix Big Muff sustainer/distorter. He actually used the cheaper russian made model (incase anyone really cares). Like a all the Electro-Harmonix catalog, including the be all end all filter Bassball, this pedal has an awesome old school sound.

My guitarist and I were discussing him a few days ago. I had just let him barrow my "Sessions at..." DVD of BFF, and though he personally doesn't like Ben's song writing, loved the way the band played together and the overall layers of sound that they get with just 3 people. The big thing is the bass part. Now as my guitarist points out "He plays like a guitarist." He does. There are many times where he would play lead guitar parts on his bass.

Why don't we hear this more often in bands? Well, if you listen close to the BFF stuff, especially live, you hear that Ben almost ALWAYS doubles the bass part on piano. This allows Robert to drop out and play the many non-typical basslines that the band is known for. So simply put, since it requires another instrument to cover the bass part or using loop pedals not many bands take an approach like this.

Also, 98% of the music over the past 5 years has suck and has been written/performed by uninspired wieners ;)
  15. mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    I was just learning some of his stuff this week! funny to see the post on here! I will say that i tear the hell out of my fingers when i play his stuff! Damn But the thing with bff that i just loved is they r so tight! And they all could be the singer of a band! And i also love the distortion. I think that is so cool that he uses it with more a jazz thing. I do love him on bass but i really like that drummer! You guys got qa name for him? Also you guys should get the live dvd! Its a great live recording. Fun to them work! Not sure what the dvd is called cause i let my drummer use it. But if you havent seen it then go find it
  16. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    I believe the only DVD that was ever released of them was "Ben Folds Five - The Complete Sessions at West 54th". Sessions at West 54th being one of the many awesome shows that PBS has done regarding music.
    link link link buy buy buy!!!!!

Yea, it's really fun to watch them play together. I mean you have three guys, all playing their instuments beyond their limits and all doing vocals. On top of it all they're tighter then a dolphin's bung... that's water-tight for those not in the know ;)
  17. mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    I think it even had some live concert footage from other shows! Yes they r amazing to watch
  18. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Yea, but it's kind of cheesy because the director edited together clips from different shows, so it's not really the complete performance in the video. So the guys shirts and stuff keep on changing :p But it's better then nothing, it's really amazing to see exactly how high energy they are live. You got Robert jumping off stuff and then Ben throwing stuff at the piano...

They were pretty hardcore live.
  19. Bobby. Ah yes. "yeah, my boy Sledge on the bass in your face!"

The man who made me realize that you could have great lead parts on bass without sounding like you're wanking.

That fat fuzz tone! Has to be a green Big Muff! Yes!

I still think about getting one of those Les Paul basses...
  20. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Yea, what I can tell he kind of gave up on the "lead bass" stuff with his new band. I mean, they do have 2 guitars and no other instrument that has the low end to play basslines (i.e. piano), so he's doing some pretty straight forward, but really good, basslines.