1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Robert Sledge - what say you?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Highly underrated bass player - IMHO

His work on Ben Folds Five albums is just excellent. He is clearly a player who has used his musical training to play a mean bassline - the way he drops into clever and sometimes difficult keys and meters without a hitch is the first sign.

Its strange how a player like Stefan Lessard, whilst quite brilliant in his own right, gets so much more attention than Sledge, who was also part of a college radio sweetheart band.

What say?

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Great player and great sound. I really like him a lot. He's is a big fuzz pedal influence for me. That and he uses a plectrum in BF5, which I thought was very interesting.

Capsule review: I like him a lot.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I thought it was sad the way he got slept on. He had some tasty chops, and he was a fuzz genius.

4. Thanks for the replies, guys.

Q: We are learning a few of their tracks for an upcoming show, and I was speaking to my friendly bass guy at the local shop the other day. I was trying to find out what overdrive pedal he uses.

I was told it was a Big Muff.

Can anyone tell me for sure?

5. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yes, from what I remembered it was a Big Muff, and a quick Google search seems to confirm this.