Robert Trujillo - bass gliss - how does he do it?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Dejf, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Dejf

Mar 21, 2005
    Hi everybody!!!,

does enybody know how make Robert Trujillo his gliss sound - it sounds like chromatic scale played with hyperspeed - but i´m not sure - it´s mostly on infectious grooves records... Help if you know - if you can

2. Man, I know exactly what your talkin about it's on the Groove Family Cyco album (Do what I tell ya!) and does he kick serious ass or what!!!

I'm a huge fan of his chops. My thoughts originaly was that it's not possible to play that fast and perfect. But he is the dude. I just can't understand why he's not a LOT more popular among us bass players.

I wish I could get a video of him doing that. It's one thing to hear it but I bet he would make it look like a walk in the park to see.

You've got to love the 4 pony tails hair style too.

Check out their web site, I do remember reading a very good interview with Robert about how he started and him getting put down about his ability.

Yeh, who eating their words now. :)
  3. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    A lot of how Rob does the crazy fast stuff...well...he's just crazy fast!!

Seriously, he's got super chops and is very fast when the music deserves it. I would suspect the reason he's "underrated" in any catagory is because some still don't know much about him. Robert pretty much plays with bands that in my opinion utilize maybe 10-15% of his ability (Ozzy, Black Label Society, Metallica).

To truly understand his ability one must listen to old school Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious Grooves.

I saw him out with Metallica a few months back and he did a solo that left my jam on the floor. He's a monster player.
  4. I agree, his best work was definitely with Suicidal and Infectious Grooves. His fretless slap solos on Suicidal's "Send Me Your Money" are what made me notice this guy, and he never stopped impressing me since then.

I'd love to hear him in a non-metal setting. I bet he'd own that Flea guy BIG TIME. :bassist:
  5. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    he has always been one of my fav bassists. every since ST and his amazing sound on the Infectious recordings.
  6. Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Endorsing Artist - Elixir strings,Markbass amplification
    Are you sure it was fretless? Certainly doesn't sound it

7. Yeh, it was fretless, I've seen video's.

Just a quick question, Rob always used his fingers, yet on many songs he sound like he's using a Pick, anyone know how that works?
  8. Rob has been known to use a pick ^ Not all the time (obviously) but he has used a pick on some of the records with ST. Infectious Grooves are just amazing, they are my favourite band, i would for them to get back together and starting making more grooves!
  9. I remember him using a fretless in the clip, but it's been a long time since I've heard it. Maybe it's fretted, after all.
  10. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Rob used a pick for quite a bit of recording done with Jerry Cantrell and he used a pick live with Ozzy a lot more than most people know.

You can also see him (with a very determined look on his face) playing a Fender P bass with a pick on BLS's DVD when they played Harpo's in Detroit during the song "Bleed For Me."

The BLS DVD really shows how much of a great supporting player he is while all of the Infectious stuff shows how much of a monster he is on bass.
  11. And as ridiculous as this sounds I thought i was the only one that worshiped this guys playing ability.

It's really cool dudes like this are recognized for what they can do. Imagine if he never played for ST or IG. We'd never know!!!! That would suck. :bassist:
  12. Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Damn, old talkbass always had such cool content! Any with a time machine willing to dig up this interview?
  13. kzr750r1

Aug 12, 2011
    Hightlights are for sure Lights Camera Action ST record and the Infectious Grooves material. I'm happy he is getting paid with Metallica but they will never use all his tallent.
  14. sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    Ah love that clip I've always had a thing for girls with shaved heads since first seeing that
  15. zphreaky1

zphreaky1 Far from good

Apr 25, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    The way this guy plays is the reason I started playing bass. Went to see Metallica and ST when Alice in Chains was supposed to play with them. I went for AIC But Staley's smack addiction caused them to drop off the tour. We got Candlebox instead ?!?

Watching Rob really inspired me. But it was 15 years before I finally picked up a guitar. But that show was the reason!