1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Robert Trujillo on Larry Graham

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just got the new BassPlayer today with Robert Trujillo on the cover. I haven't read it yet, but one thing he said caught my eye. He said that Larry Graham was funky, but that he was also a heavy player, and that he could have fit into Metallica. I can't imagine Graham, a Jehovah Witness, minister in Metallica, but he could get heavy, Here are a few clips:

2. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    if i'm not mistaken, his handprints are infront of the GC in hollywood.

i put my hands inside the prints, and the left hand was about the same, but our right thumbs were really different. his right thumb was about an inch longer than mine. its no wonder he thumped the bass like he did.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Graham's thumb is a monster, both in size and skill. I don't know about how he'd fit in personally, but I agree that his aggressive percussive articulation is similar to what's needed in their style of metal. Trujillo reportedly fingerstyle plucks hard enough that the strings slap against the frets, which of course shows an overlap between his style and Graham's.

4. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Haha....that would be awesome.

Little known fact: Les Claypool once auditioned for Metallica. They rejected him because he was "too good" (Metallica's words)

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    They also said he needs to "do his own thing".

6. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I read that article too. I was impressed by how broad a pallette of players Trujillo appreciates. He likes Jaco, Larry Graham, Stanley and Marcus Miller among others. Its refreshing to see metal players who appreciate music outside their own genre and even let it influence their own playing. I was also impressed by Trujillo's work ethic. If we all worked at it like him, maybe we'd all be better players!

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I don't care what you say. That hat is sweet. :D

8. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    You do realize he was the bass player for Infectious Grooves right? Infectious Grooves was fast and funky and gave Red Hot Chili Peppers a good run for their money. Trujillo is a really versatile player who plays a lot of styles and plays them well.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm not surprised about Trujillo. He was slammin' back in the Eighties with Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious Grooves.:)

10. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I've heard of them but never heard them. I will definitely have to check it out! I listened to the new Metallica album (I'm not a metal head by any means but checked it out solely based on the article I read about Trujillo). The album is very good for what it is but like I said I'm not a metal guy so I doubt I'll be headbanging to it again any time soon. Thanks for the knowledge, I'll give them a listen!

11. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah, I'm not a metal head either, but I like most of Metallica's stuff. :bag: From what I've heard of the new album it's pretty sweet. Yeah, check it out, you might like it. Suicidal Tendencies was his band before that, a pretty good punk band.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Here some Infectious Groove from back in the day:

13. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Ah man, thanks for that. You Tube is deep. There are so many bands and things that I've forgotten about that just pop up on there. That video brought back memories. :D

14. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    a wee off topic for just a sec. if I may. I also received my copy of B.P.Mag. today, and I'm wondering if you receive yours in an envelope or as is? I was getting them in a brown bagger, but the last few have come without and are arriving pretty banged up.

15. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i dont think thats a little known fact as its been on vh1... however... i Les Claypool's response to hearing James say the reason he wasnt picked was he was too good was something along the lines of "yeah right.... they probably thought i was a weirdo"

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Mine came nice and pretty in plastic. I had one come in a bit torn a few months ago.

17. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass

now i dont know what graham's religion(or anyones) has to do with him not being able to be in metallica but Trujillo himself was into R&B and Funk before he even joined suicidal. So i can see how he can view graham in that way. If i recall, Trujillo worked at a jazz club across the street from where suicidal was practicing and the guys at suicidal would turn their PA's towards the club just to piss them off.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

This month's came in a parachute...every other has come without.

I have subscribed to BP since day 1.
    I have stopped subscriptions at least twice in the past 'cause the issues were arriving in bad shape.
    I renewed about a year ago (price was too good to pass on) & the issues have been arriving in good condition.

19. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    whipped cream... put it all over your bod-daaaay

oh man that takes me back, thanks for the memories!

20. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Well it may have been the fact that when he went in to audition, he asked the guys if they wanted to jam on some Isley Brothers tunes.

BTW, I love this whole series of videos here. I don't know what it is, but Larry doing his songs with just bass and drums sounds so damned good!