1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Robert Trujillo!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Joeonbass, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Joeonbass

Joeonbass

Dec 9, 2006
    Guildford, UK
    He's just such a legend I thought I'd make a thread about him. He's so great in Metallica, as good if not better than Cliff in my opinion.

2. Rob is a great player, check out his stuff in infectious grooves. Tell me, what does he do in metallica that makes him great though.

3. metalbass777

metalbass777

Sep 3, 2006
    No way is he better than Cliff.

4. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    Have you seen this video of a new Metallica song? He's so unprofessional it's painful to watch.

5. +1
    Good reply, I was gonna post the same :p

6. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Hah, that was pretty funny. But hell, it happens even to the best of us :bassist: .

7. TribalEagle

TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    That was freaking funny...:p
    But right thing he should have done: just play the song, and 95% of audience wouldn`t have noticed wrong tuning...
    or maybe fine tune it while playing?? (I can`t do that but I`v seen people who can..)

But still Rob is amazing player, still I think Jason fitted better in Metallica... (sorry for starting this again..
    Good job in the intro riff tho...

8. he didnt pull the bass out, a roadie handed it to him :p

we havent had MUCH of a basis to judge robert on (in terms of metallica) cuz hes only playing what cliff wrote, very very well i might add, we will see what the new album brings to make the judgment of him being "better" right now im putting him on par with cliff. as far as playing ability goes

9. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    He still handled it like a gibbering idiot. I'd like to have heard what Metallica would have sounded like had they picked Scott Reeder instead.

10. I thought it was funny, very human. He didn't throw a fit cuz his roadie screwed up. He laughed it off, they all did. He seems like a fun guy to have a drink with, and he did play well after he got the right bass.

11. Nils

Nils

Oct 9, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    God, I can't really stand Metallica... The guys seem nice, but their music... Nah. saw Some kind of Monster, and that I liked. But only because of the way they acted. Seems like really clever people actually.

Did what you said, and I have to say something. I checked out Violent & Funky on youtube and doesn't the bass sound a lot like that Stevie Wonder tune? Um... I Wish! Just one note is different, less variation and alot faster. :p

12. vashts80

vashts80

Aug 9, 2005
    Or maybe that was the actual point...the song wasn't finished at that point, hence there was no "right" way to go about playing it.

13. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    I think hes a pretty good bassist and does well in metallica. He does a pretty nice solo at the start of for whom the bell tolls at rock am ring. Seems to have a nice attitude to^^

14. and id like to see what they would have sounded like had they picked Jeordie white :p

hell, id like to hear what NIN would have sounded like had Jeordie been not available.

15. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    That song was okay until the vocals came in.

16. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    At risk of looking like a YouTube whore, I saw this video of Jeordie White, Josh Freese and Dave Catching there playing Master of Puppets (see how I linked it all together there? I know, I know)

17. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Lars' kit looks silly with two bass drums and only two toms on top of it. He should really look into getting a double bass drum pedal.

18. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    There's a huge sound difference between two bass drums and one bass drum with a double bass pedal.

19. Mr Top 10

Mr Top 10

Nov 22, 2006
    I think he's got a fine groove for the music he plays.

20. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    LOL @ Rob... Thats funny as ****. I like the song, but.... the vocals didnt do much for me.