Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Robert Trujillo

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by barroso, Feb 1, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have seen the ozzy video "gets me through". just out of curiosity which bass is Robert playing in that video? is that a MTD bass? is it a Beast or an american?

thanks

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I havent seen the video but Ive seen him use Tobias basses live.

3. if I'm not mistaking he is playing Fernandes, he is still listed on their page.....

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i haven't heard rovert trujillo's work with ozzy yet, but he is one of the guys that is responsible for me playing bass. i really dig his work with infectious grooves. awesome stuff...the plague that makes your booty move, indeed ;)

5. Trujillo uses an MTD Grendel 5 in the "Dreamer" video. I think his Fernandes endorsement is solely for their 8-string bass.

If I remember correctly, he uses an MTD 4-string in the "Gets Me Through" clip.

Going through videos and figuring out what basses are being used is fun.

6. I think that this might be better placed suited in Bassists

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    from these three superbad pics taken from the video it's not a fernandes, it's for sure a MTD bass. it seems a 5 strings Grendel...

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    and he's listed in the MTD players page.

9. GruvSyco

GruvSyco

Jan 25, 2002
    He's apparently a huge Tobias fan. Back when he was playing with Suicidal and Infectious he had a whole slew of Toby's. I guess since Michael Tobias got going again, Robert switched over to MTD's. He is a phenomenal bass player. Any body that can slap and pop a 12 string is alright in my book. That's some serious right hand strength.

10. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I saw him live with S.T. back in the day. 1994 I think it was. He was actually using a fretless Tobias for a few songs! But he used a black Tobby most of the time (5er), don't remember it at all except it was black.

I was surfin' the 'net once and found a few action shots of him in ozzy. Looks like a USA MTD to me. Definitly custom.

but he is a good player for sure, but i am not a slapper and never will be, but i do respect his playing a ton! S.T. was a band I lived by back in high school!!!

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's either a Beast or a Grendel. If you look at the headstock it's much different than the American versions.

12. I actually still live by S.T., great band! Mike Muir is a really cool, nice guy. I respect him a lot......