Robert Wilson Thanks "Soul Circus"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The newest issue of Bass Player features Robert Wilson of the Gap Band and he says:"It's such a blessing" to be recognized by Victor Wooten on "Bass Tribute." As he said, he has never been recognized, and I know it had to feel good to called out by an acknowledged virtuoso. For what it worth, I agree with Victor Wooten in saying that "Shake" the Gap Band single from 1978 that ended with a scat/plucked P-bass solo, really caught my attention when I first heard it. Even though they got deep into synth bass by the 1980's, Robert Wilson always slipped in a cool groove like "Outstanding" on an album.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Robert did some very nice work on early Gap Band projects.

People rarely mention Ronald LaPread from the Commodores either.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You're right. It's easy to forget how funky the Commodores were before Lionel Ritchie blew up. I remember that bass on "I Feel Sanctified." That was some kind of funky!
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    When I saw the soul circus tour in LA, they played bass tribute, when they got the to robert wilson part, they broke it down and vamped on the groove while vic and anthony and such started giving a lecture about him and how overlooked he often is. Lasted a minute or so before they eventually got back into the chorus.
  5. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    For some real R. Wilson funk, check out the song "Gash,Gash,Gash" off of Gap Band III.
  6. throwdown

Dec 26, 2002
    Finally Robert Wilson seems to be recognized after all. "Shake" is one of the best and classy examples of jazzy funk bass ever recorded. It´s a pity the GAP band used keyboards as bass on later recordings.
    Robert is a great player. One player with a similar style but more incredible thumb/slap grooves was Keith Hatchell. There were a couple of D.J. Rogers recordings in the 70s featuring Hatchell where the bass is just incredible
  7. bassalo

Jan 23, 2008
    I love Wilson's stuff from early Gap Band albums.