Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by slowburnaz, Apr 6, 2002.

1. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm looking into the whole luthier business, and from what I gather, Roberto-Venn is one of the better schools out there for Luthiery. It's quite an expensive venture, but it's kind of a dream for me to be able to become a luthier and start my own business.
    Have any of you heard of or gone to this school? Any experiences with people who you've known that have gone to this school?

I'm trying to find out as much about this school before taking the big step. For me, going to Roberto-Venn would be quite expensive (as it is for anyone, I guess)... full time schooling for 5 months, M-F 9a-7p... doesn't leave much time for a job to support myself while attending. I can see that loans and grants are in my future... LOL.

So anyways, any info on this school and/or its graduates would be great!
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I think it would be interesting if the resident luthiers also mentioned alternatives to going to "Luthier School". I have actually seen some of the stories in the "getting to first bass" section BP used to publish, and a lot of now famous luthiers started out by building their first instrument in wood shop class.

Also, there are Manufacturers, not unlike Ned Steinberger, who are more competent on the design aspect than in the actual building of their instruments.