Robin Ranger Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IPLAYLOUD, Oct 12, 2000.

Aug 19, 2000
    2 years ago, I picked up a Robin Ranger Bass in a store that was closing it's buisness.
    2 Pc Swamp Ash body...P/Bass style with a set of P/Bass split p/u's, but with squared off edges and large face guard and metal control plate like an original 55 P/Bass.
    (It does have a body contour in the back, THANK YOU!!)
    2-tone burst, maple neck/board with a 2x2 pointed head.
    I believe this was at the very beginning of
    Robin, and that it was made for them by Tokai.
    I couldn't pass on it with the case for $100!!!
    The 32" scale feels great since I came from a Mustang Bass (69 Comp Orange).
    Hs anyone had much experience with Robins??? I know Tommy Shannon played one for a little while.
    Any guitar or bass I have seen, or every review I have read has high regards for them!!!!
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How can a guitar or bass have "high regard" for anything? I've never seen any mention or review of this bass in reading every guitar/bass magazine I can get my hands on for the last 10 - 20 years. I might have missed the odd one or two though! ;)
  3. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Robins are generally very good. I have a Freedom II bass that is awesome. Robin is a relatively small company based in Houston. They market a complete line of killer electric guitars (though I don't know if any basses are currently in production) under the Robin name, as well as some really cool retro style guitars (designed after the old resoglass Supros) under the Metropolitan name and another sort of retro line under the Alamo name. They also make Rio Grande pickups which are quite good. I have heard that the guy who runs the company (I think his name is David Weitz, or something like that) is really easy to talk to and will answer questions if you call or write. Actuallly, the company had it's start as Rockin' Robin Guitar Store and I think they have a big part in AllParts, the parts supplier.

One of the writers for Vintage Guitar magazine has done a piece on Robin and I think has posted some info on them on the vguitar bass forum.

You got a steal for $100!!! I would love to find the same deal.

4. k5koy

k5koy Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Dallas, Tx.
    Wanna triple your money?....LOL
    No, seriously!
  5. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    i had a freedom for a while when i was a young dumb terd .... didnt keep it long . dont remember why , cause i remember that it played and sounded awesome . i have been looking for a machette 5 for years . only seen one on ebay and it had a busted neck ..... bid it up to 350 or so and it sold for right at 400 ........
  6. Nick B.

Nick B.

Aug 11, 2009
    This thread is nearly 10 years old. :scowl:
  7. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    oh well , im still looking for a machette ..... and k5koy still wants that freedom bass ....
  8. Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    The lead singer and bassist (!!) for a band called "Deep Blue Something" played a Robin bass in this video: "Breakfast At Tiffany's" which was their big hit back in 1995.
  9. Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    And your point is?
  10. I played a Robin 5'er at a pawn shop once many years ago, it was a pretty nice bass just not what I was looking for.
  11. Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Someone who knows how to use the searce function!
    Will_White likes this.
  12. Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008

Anyway... OP, I hope you enjoyed the link and info I provided.
  13. k5koy

k5koy Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Dallas, Tx.
    Thanks, but thats how I found the thread....:D Well, the search function, didnt try the searce deal....
  14. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I realize this is an old (very old) thread, but I just thought someone might be interested in the developments.

Vintage Guitar magazine had a profile of the Robin Ranger and Freedom import bases in their Dec. 2010 issue (page 56). They stopped making basses in 1997.

Also, Robin has just announced they have stopped producing guitars after 28 years. See their web site for more info.
  15. So after several years it might be time to revive this thread lol
    I picked up a robin ranger bass special r-hb1 for $50 off the local classifieds. Lady had no idea what she had........

Attached Files:

16. Yok

Oct 14, 2011
    Sydney, AU
    They that good? I just found one for the same price!
  17. Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The bass posted above (June 2015) is not a Robin.