1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Robin Trower songs

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mark Plays Bass, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Mark Plays Bass

Mark Plays Bass Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    I'm wondering if anyone is in a band that cover any of Robin Trower's songs and if so which ones.

Do any of his tunes ever get called at blues jams?

Thanks

2. Robin Trower.... Great stuff !

We play Day of the Eagle, Too Rolling Stoned and The Fool And Me. Never seen any of them called out at a blues jam, though.

3. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I cover The Fool & Me. I've been a Trower fan since I was 12. One local band covers Bridge of Sighs, another covers Too Rolling Stoned. And not one of these ever gets called at jams. Most people don't even know Fool & Me.

Sigh.

Cherie

4. bluevoodoo

bluevoodoo

Dec 15, 2007
    minneapolis
    My band covered bridge of sighes. Trower has some great tunes. Whenever we played this one it was sure to have the crowd in a daze. Like a post-hendrix train that smacked them in the face. They would be asking themselves, who is this again? Very good change up from the regular stuff.

5. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    You know what's funny/weird? People my own age, who should know Trower, don't. It has taken three years for me to get anyone to play Fool & Me with me. And yet, I played a place with a lot of really young people...teens, barely-legals...

I played Trower and they clean lost their minds. They LOVE the stuff, and know all the songs!

Go figure. The kids really are alright. :)

Cherie

6. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I remember when Robin Trower hit the scene (yes this ages me, I am about his age). Me and my friends were impressed the first time we heard him on record and then we went back to listening to the original, Jimi Hendrix. I should finally take some time to listen to some of Trower's stuff.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I saw his trio play live in about 1974 - awesome sound and a great live act. I never got to see Hendrix, but this was like the next best thing...:)

I remember that Trower gave guitar lessons to Robert Fripp!! :eek:

As in, Fripp asked him to teach him, formally!

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Just found the quote :

Robin Trower is one of the very few English guitarists that have mastered bends and wobbles. Not only has he got inside them, with an instinctive knowing of their affective power, but they went to live inside his hands. It is the rare English guitarist who has been able to stand alongside American guitarists and play with an equal authority to someone grounded in a fundamentally American tradition.

Trower has been widely criticised for his influences. This has never bothered me. I toured America in 1974 with Ten Years After top of the bill, King Crimson second, and Robin Trower bottom. The chart positions were the opposite: TYA in the Billboard 160s, Crimson in the 60s and Trower climbing remorselessly through the top twenty. Nearly every night I went out to listen to him. This was a man who hung himself on the details: the quality of sound, nuances of each inflection and tearing bend, and abandonment to the feel of the moment. He saved my life.

Later, in England, he gave me guitar lessons.

Robert Fripp, Wiltshire, England, 19 November 1996.

9. We do Day of the Eagle and it always goes down well. I would love to do Too Rolling Stoned but there is only so much obscure (to a club owner's mind) stuff that you can get away with.

10. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I've played "Bridge" & "Eagle" at blues jams several times over the years.
    I'm actually surprised how many times they were called.

11. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Robin's been playing with Jack Bruce again, I believe there is a live DVD coming out this fall.
    Trower has incredible tone, vibrato and phrasing among other things. I used to be in a band that covered about half of the Bridge of Sighs album. Great stuff.

12. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    Our band jams Bridge of Sighs, we love it. It's a great tune and our guitarist absolutely loves Robin Trower. We always make it psychadelic towards the end of the song.

13. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    We did "Too Rolling Stoned" in a band I was in about 5 years ago, it turned out to be one of the songs that went over best. We also got requests for it. I never really understood why, but you go with what works.

14. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    Boy, let's see. I've played:

Bridge of Sighs
    Too Rollin' Stoned
    Somebody's Calling
    Day of the Eagle
    Fool and Me
    Farther On Up the Road

and I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting.

Never played any at a jam, though.

15. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Oh yeah, love that stuff!

Me and a guitarist I worked with for a while thought about doing a Robin Trower tribute band. For reasons I can't explain tribute bands draw big crowds and money in the Southern California area.

We never really pulled it together due to other band projects, but we played a few parties as a trio (I'm a singing bassist so the format was right) and we did:

Too Rolling Stoned
    Day of the Eagle
    Bridge of Sighs
    The Fool and Me
    Lady Love
    Little Bit of Sympathy
    In This Place

and a couple of other titles that escape me at the moment.

The crowd response was REALLY good. You don't hear this stuff much in clubs so folks seem to really dig it when you pull out the Trower and do it right.

But as far as jams, I have never had it come up. Things like Day of the Eagle are tricky rhythmically, and Lady Love has a lot of changes...not easy to pull off if the guitar and bass players don't know it.

I might have to call that git player up and talk about this again ;)

16. My last band did Too Rolling Stoned (didn't realize it was such popular cover song until this thread) and No Time.

Both went over really well with too rolling stoned usually being our last song and stretched out at the end..sometimes it went on 10 minutes...

17. rdwoody1

rdwoody1

Aug 23, 2009
    Jackson, TN
    "Alethea." My favorite Trower song. My band is sort of a blues-rock band, so I guess you could say it gets called at a "blues jam." We are liable to go from "Good Morning Little School Girl" to "All Along the Watchtower" to "Thirty Days in the Hole" then to an instrumental slow blues. You never can tell about us :)

18. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Yeah, we did Too Rolling Stoned and Bridge of Sighs.

Because Robin Trower is so obscure, these are songs that have to be done VERY well for them to be popular with the audience. Every instrument has to be tight and all musicians have to be working the feel of the song. And don't overlook the importance of the vocals to make these work - sloppy or indifferent vocals will allow the audience to get bored, despite great guitar playing.

19. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Bridge of sigh... what a great album. When I was in a party band doing mostly keggers, (many years ago) we did half that album...

Not very bass-intensive stuff, but if you can sing like his bassist (Jimmy Dewar) then you don't need to riff - that man had PIPES!

20. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    :eek: Wow...just wow!