1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Robo Sander

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hookha, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    Someone told my that it will be very good if i buy the Robo sander from stewmac
    and i dont know what he do.
    what is destined for ?

Attached Files:

2. it's designed to smooth edges square to a face. This particular one also has a template guide. So you can use the bandsaw to cut close to the line and then with a template get a smooth edge with this thing. I have one and I used it only once. I prefer a router for these tasks. But then again, if you don't have a template, this would be more accurate.

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    a little late, but here's my 2 cents.

i just tried mine out (i have had the set for about 2 weeks) today. i am calling Stew Mac to see if can send them back. i only used the big one and the medium sized one. they were so unbalanced that i could barely get them to work at all. i was afraid they would eventually tear up my drill press.

robo sander...good idea, bad implementation. hopefully i just got a bad set and they arent all like that.

i may try the micro-plane drums eventually, but for now, i am going back to the router table.

4. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I just finished the templates for my first guitar and I was considering using the robo sanders to cut out my body. Now I think I'll just stick with the router. Anyone else got a robo sander experience?

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    even if this worked properly you would still need to use a router. the guide bearing is slightly larger than the sanding area so you would never get your material flush with your template anyways.

i was hoping to use these as step two in a three part process of 1) roughing out on a band saw 2) robo sanding most of the material off 3) routing to final size.

6. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    I have a little sander like that on the picture, but mine is about 1" in diamater, and in lenght. So this one seems to be much larger.
    I don't think it could be a substitue for router, it's just to sand the already-routed-but-not-so-fine edges. I run it at VERY low rev., otherwise it burns the wood.
    (maybe, this could help using unbalanced sanders)
    It' very good sometimes, for curves that need a lot of sanding, and could be a pain to do it by hand.

"1) roughing out on a band saw 2) robo sanding most of the material off 3) routing to final size."

I would say NO, robosanding is the last, if you need it at all.
    It's not for removing much material.
    Oh, and it doesn't tear up chips, even with straggly grain woods, if you still want to remove much material, but can't use the router

7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i hear what you are saying about the tear out, but the robo sander wont go to final size due to the template guide bearing being slightly over-sized.

i have my press set to the second slowest speed (around 1100 RPMs i think).

the thing is: the largest robo sander is about 2 pounds and thats a lot of weight for a drill press collet to be spinning out of balance.

8. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    At what rpms are you guys running your drill press at?....How big is the drill press? ....1100 seems pretty fast for a robo sander....although the literature claims a max safe speed at 2500rpm. I have one and have used it without any problems. You will appreciate the robo-sander a lot more after your router tears up some $115 bd/ft Curly Koa......This sander works.....double check your press for any problems.

BTW....Is the unit that Stew-Mac sells the Real Robo-Sander? There are some knock offs out there.....The real one was invented by a fellow in Texas by the name of Ken Picou.

http://www.luthiersfriend.com/robosander/RoboTips.htm

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i know Kens website recommends 1800 RPM.

i can spin this in my hand and visibly see that its unbalanced. i'd like to think i just got a bad one since others have had success with it.

10. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    :eek: that's huge!
    now I know what you mean.
    Mine is a tiny one..

I don't know what's that guide for.. it makes sense for a router bit, but I wouldn't use it with such a sander. Try to get it off from the sander (the guide bearing), and/or try running your drill press REALLY slow. I think, holding in hand (in drill machine, or router) can compensate the vibrating caused by unbalance, but then what's with the 90degree edges?:meh:

11. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I have an oscillating spindle sander. Obviously, no bearing but I do all my rough shaping on the bandsaw and clean it up on the OSS. No router until the roundovers get cut. I use the OSS for lots of other jobs.

The drill press is not really designed for lateral forces, plus since it does not oscillate you get grooves from the sanding sleeves. If you don't have space then maybe, but if you do, an OSS is a better way to go.

12. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i would love to have the space, but i live in an apartment that is starting to look like home depot. :)

one of these days i'll have dedicated tools but for now i gotta get multi use stuff that is light weight and takes up little space.

13. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    k, i just bought the micro plane rotary tool. it's well worth the money. i just trimmed up the sides of a neck in about 20 minutes. (i didnt bandsaw very close to the line). no problems with this whatsoever. the replacement blades are kind of pricy but i'm not gonna complain. :D